What's the best way to help and adult with an ear infection?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

If outer ear infection dropping some rubbing alcohol drops in ear and lying on side for a couple minutes, and then letting it flow out on tissue can help clean and disinfect, and then there are also some OTC ear drops for comfort. You can also use hydrogen peroxide for outer ear infections and do same thing as with the rubbing alcohol. However, don't stick stuff in there, and if it is a middle or inner ear infection, you really need antibiotics, and none of these liquids will help, and will just be pounding painful, until the infection clears, maybe some ibuprofen and a warm heat pad for comfort but need to get rid of the infection or it could rupture ear drum and cause all sorts of problems.

• 2 weeks ago

I had a lot of earaches when I was young. The best that I have found to be is a few drops of warm extra virgin olive oil in the ear canal. Warm hydrogen peroxide also works good but be sure it is fresh. Old hydrogen peroxide looses it's strength within months after it's been opened and turns into mostly plain water. Alcohol would be a good thing as disinfectant except that it burns like fire!  

• P.L.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

See a doctor a.s.a.p.  Ear infections are not something we mess with at home.  Ear problems can be really serious sometimes.

• Marc
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Antibiotics....

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Is it viral or bacterial? One needs meds the other needs to treat the symptoms.

Ibuprofen, possible decongestants or antihistamines depending on the reasons they have the ear infection. Lying on or having hot water bottle lying on, again depending on the cause determines which way to lie down. 

• 2 months ago

Eye drops are used for ear aches often, they can help with pain/irritation.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.