How many T-shirts should I buy to startup a T-shirt company?

If you have to ask on Yahoo...then you do not have a business plan.

If you do not have a business plan, your business will fail and you will have thousands of tee shirts that you cannot sell.

Call your accountant and make the plan.

That depends entirely upon where you'll be selling them and what your expected sales will be. If you're going to be selling online from home via Facebook, Ebay or Etsy, I'd start with perhaps no more than 60 on hand as you can reorder quickly and sales could start out slower than expected. I sold at my concessions at county fairs and needed several hundred each weekend at small fairs, and over a thousand at many larger ones. A good flea market location coud result in 1-200 sales each weekend with the right designs.

Are you starting in physical shop or from home?.  if it's on a website why don't you start with a company like Printful that you can put your images on and then when you sell you just order from them. That is what I did at https://zaphoot.com/  that way you can also sell all over the world, and they do all the packaging, postage, returns etc.  And, it will not cost you anything apart from a website.  Once you make some money start your own place.  Just my opinion. 

If your average cost per tee adds up to $7.50, let’s say, and you have a budget of $500, you’ll only be able to start off with about 60 shirts. But if your budget is $1000, then you might be able to start with 130 or so tees. However, if you are willing to invest more to get your business off the ground, here’s my advice.

You should buy as many as you calculated that you need in your business plan.  You DO have a business plan, don't you?

If not, call your accountant, lawyer or go on line and look.  Your business will fail without a business plan.

like a thousand,

you can get them at michaels on sale for 2.50 a piece. 2.99 at hobby lobby.

I just saw a facebook ad where a company had thousands for $1 each. Boaz Alabama. All sizes & colors.

• ?

The minimum number is 1.