? asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

When you cook your Thanksgiving turkey do you put it in the oven or deep fry it?

For many years I only did Thanksgiving turkey in the oven. I then got a smoker and began smoking a turkey and oven roasting a turkey, People loved the smoked turkey and stopped eating the oven roasted turkey. I then smoked a turkey and deep fried a turkey. People loved the deep fried turkey and stopped eating the smoked turkey. This year, because of Covid, family decided to stay home and I had already purchased two turkeys. I gave a turkey to my son and and I deep fried a turkey for my wife and I. As other people have already said, deep frying is the best but ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING and are willing to take precautions very seriously. Otherwise don't do it. 3 to 5 gallons of hot oil can be VERY dangerous.

OVEN. Start it breast side up then flip it half way with foil reflective side out.

I will always do the oven, I'm not a fan of deep fry of any kind and think deep fried turkey is kind of horrible.  

One of the things I love about thanksgiving is the stock I make from the carcass and a deep fried carcass I'm just not even going to bother with.

Many years ago I had a fussy eater of a dog and toward the end of her life the only thing she would eat was turkey.  So I cooked a turkey about every 10 days.  I ate A LOT of turkey for the last two years of her life and got really good at using turkey in all sorts of things chili, enchiladas, lasagna, you name it, I figured out a way to make it using up turkey.

The best way I've ever found to roast a turkey is the recipe that comes with your Deistel turkey where you put a cup of water in the bottom of the roasting pan and sortof steam the turkey.  No basting is necessary, you can use whatever seasonings you like (I tended to keep it simple as I was cooking for a dog and also so the seasonings would not clash with whatever dish I was using the meat in.  It's a great tecnique, you can literally not bother the turkey at all while it's cooking.  For amazing gravy do pour a glass of white wine over the bird in the last part of the cooking like the recipe offers as an option.

slow roast in the oven

• denise

Definitely in the oven, My deep fryer is not nearly big enough!

Always in the oven. For some stupid reason deep fried turkey just makes me want to gag, even though I have no problem with deep fried chicken. 

• JOHN B

I fried a turkey. Once, just once.

• kswck2

The One time I went to someone's house that was making a deep fried turkey, I brought a fire extinguisher. No one else thought something like that Might be necessary. It was. I don't do that anymore. 

The problem with deep fried turkeys is that folks that do it don't know what they are doing-or have already had too much to drink by dinner time. They do it in a garage, or too near the house or have no contingency plans if something goes wrong. 

I spatchcock the bird and roast it at high heat in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes. It's the easiest and best way to cook a turkey. Five gallons of hot oil on a grate outdoors terrifies me.

Cooking instructions at:

https://www.markbittman.com/recipes-1/45-minute-ro...

• CB

Cool smoke for a couple hours then finish in the oven.