John asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

When making chilli, is it okay to add just tomato paste and not tomato sauce?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Without both is just fine... Just chilli.... 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Tomato paste is used to thicken a tomato sauce and not usually used by itself but dishes like chili usually cooked a long time at a low temp and thicken through the cooking process as the water is cooked off so unless you are in a hurry you would not need tomato paste. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You do need more tomato in the chilli,  Maybe fresh chopped tomatoes? Or a can of tomato soup if you've no other tomato elements.

• IvaB
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

No,just tomato paste by itself is definitely not ok for me.I always use at least one 28 oz. can of diced or crushed tomatos as well. P.S. I'd just like to add that crushed or diced tomatos add  texture,and complexity that isn't fully realized by paste alone (even though paste certainly brings some).I couldn't care any less than I do about folks that believe that "real" chile doesn't have beans or tomatos.Thats their choice,but I want beans and tomatos regardless.The food you cook should always reflect YOUR personal choice.If thats paste,so be it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

No, just using only tomato paste is going to ruin it. It will be very bitter and very, very thick.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, that works well if you're in the camp that thinks tomato belongs in chilli, which is most people.  You just need to dilute it enough.  It's not a bad idea at all if some of the liquid you use is beer.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Since chili is one of the Most forgiving dishes, nearly anything will do.

• 2 months ago

I have Texas friends who say there are two things to never put in chili: tomato or beans. One says beans are OK, on the side, and never put in the same bite as (real) chili.  You can find a recipe for the real thing at:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/true...

• Anton
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

tomato paste plus water equals tomato sauce

• donnie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can try it 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.