Apollo 7 spent ten days in Earth orbit testing the craft before sending one to the Moon. Will the Mars crafts be proven in the same way?

John:  I'm reporting your response because you didn't even try to answer my question.  And FYI, after the Apollo One fire many things were changed in the spacecraft but the pure oxygen atmosphere was not one of them.  

Line of dialogue from the movie "Destination: Moon:"  "How do you test a thing like that? It either works or it doesn't."

Mars crafts are already proven. Pathfinder, Curiosity and a few others have been there done that already. There is another currently on  it's way to Mars. Not much left to prove there. Pity we don't get over Mars and start looking at some of the other planets.

I'm sure they will be. They will be tested, maybe even built, in earth orbit. They will be tested with a trip to the moon. They will be tested with a trip to Mars and back without people on board. 

I've not seen any mission plans as yet, but I'm sure there'll be an orbital flight, probably followed by a round trip to the moon as a proof of concept, testing the systems.  NASA has always stair-stepped their way to accomplishing a goal. While some people don't see the necessity behind it, I respect the approach in proving the viability of the equipment. 

Not even a first launch is scheduled but certainly a test flight will be planned.

Talking a whole new set of rockets so tests will be very different.

So you know, after Apollo 1 fire, that was the last of pure oxygen atmosphere.

Yes, the Artemis rockets?and the Orion capsules WILLbe tested flights around and to the Moon before the first manned mission to Mars. They have?already been flight tested for YEARS. Very likely the military has and is using similar technology. The military may never have grounded their mini shuttles .

No, because we have decades of experience with spacecraft so the basic problems are already worked out.  We weren't even sure of what would be the basic problems back then.  There will probably be shorter test flights before the big trip is made, though.  That is pretty well true of all things except the most basic and common items, existing in huge numbers in effectively identical forms, like cars or appliances.  Statistical analysis is enough.  Do not need to test each and all. Spacecraft are mostly too few in number to have valid statistics.

The first cars, though, were definitely tested before being sold.  It isn't rare for ships to have maiden voyages that are not extensive but are instead simple trials to ensure proper function of the systems.  That is the sort of thing I expect will happen with the Mars craft.

• John

NASA used pure oxygen for the Astronuts to breathe and an electrical spark started the fire on the ground. NASA changed protocol.

due to the distance and time to get there it is more likely to be a one shot deal