I minced & sautéed 4 onions & 4 bulbs of garlic.  Now my home REEKS, even though I opened windows, sprayed, & used fans. Any solutions?

Update:

How did this question initially end up under the Reality Television category?

Update 2:

Appreciate all the answers...I especially loved "Italian Night at Dizwar's place" LOLOLOL!!!!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Joe
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Pour some white vinegar in a shallow glass or plastic dish (not metal) so it's got a nice surface area.  It will absorb odors.  Just let it work for a few hours.

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

how about throwing out the cooked garlic into a bin out of the house , it does work you know and wash the pan ..

• 2 months ago

If you hate garlic why did you cook it?

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It reeks because of all the goofy spray.

Onions and garlic smell great.  They smell like what they are.  As opposed to bizarre made up scents like "mountain spring" or "fresh breeze," what the heck is that, anyway?  And do you trust some multinational chemical company to have your best interests in mind when they produce a deliberately strong smell whose only purpose is to cover up the naturally occurring smells in your home?  You shouldn't.  They're only making that because they want your money, and they work really hard to convince you that cooking smells bad - how can it, when it tastes so good? - and their products smell good.  They're liars of course, but it's what they do.

Onions and garlic = Italian Night at Dizwar's place.  That's not a reek, not unless you try to cover it up with some chemicals.

Cooking smells are good.  Enjoy them.  Don't waste money on these nasty chemical coverups, they don't work and just make nice, normal smells weird.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • F
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

4 BULBS is a helluva lot of garlic. Are you sure the recipe didn’t say CLOVES?

Cloves are the segments, bulbs are the whole vegetable. 4 cloves would be plenty even if you’re French.

• 2 months ago

Just place a bowl of milk in the room and leave overnight, it may take two goes but milk is fabulous for absorbing smells.  try it in the fridge also.

• 2 months ago

Spraying or misting Clorox bleach into the air will neutralize the odor via a chemical reaction. 

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Exhaust fan, make sure you remove all the trash out of the house, everything you used wiped down, air freshener. It' will be fine in short order.

• 2 months ago

Give time some time to work.  It will dissipate

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

That's gotta be one of the best smells around. Why would you want to banish it? 

Opening windows is fine and all, but sometimes you won't get any decent airflow. You really need a good through/cross-breeze. Can you open a window at the front and back of the house on the same floor, with the offending room in-between? 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.