?
? asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 2 months ago

UK    Are toilet seats THAT difficult to install?  My husband has spent best part of 4 hours trying to fit?

a new seat that hopefully won't slip.  And he's STILL not managed to fit it.   And no, I haven't the faintest idea how to fit it either.  What to do???????????????????????????????????????????

• zipper

The new one if the correct size is not hard to do; but getting the old one off can be a real pain in the BUTTOX!

There are three different size seats. One is commercial which is a long seat and has an opening in front for men to urinate. The other is oval and one is round. The oval seat should work, just take a couple of measurments.

Source(s): Carpenter and maintenance for years.
  • ?

Did he buy the wrong size and shape seat perhaps. They are defnitely not "one size fits all" and different brands make different styles.

• John

That makes me wonder if he has the wrong seat. There are different shapes and sizes, you know.

• drip

I am in the US. I can change out my toilet lid in 15 minutes. I also have tighten lid that is wiggling. It is very easy.

Don’t know what type of toilet y’all have over there. But there is always YouTube videos to help.  

• F

Some of them are designed so you can only get to the bolts before the toilet is installed.

Bad design, supposed to make it look good hiding the fixings but really just stupid. 

• ?

no they are not and they come with instructions so anyone can do it 

not sure what you mean by "won't slip" ... sometimes, sideways slip is in the hinges of the particular seat, not in the large screws that connect it to the toilet.  There are different screws/nuts for toilets that have a partial cone shape to help control this, but if the hinges themselves aren't well designed ... even those won't be enough.  -- granddad

It is so easy, do it yourself. 

Here in the US they take 5 minutes. I installed a whole brand new toilet, which required assembling the seat to it, in about 30 minutes.