Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

My property is unsafe to rent during the pandemic, do I still have to pay?

I live in a rental property whilst at university with 6 other tenants. 

During the pandemic the other tenants regularly have many people over, sometimes 20 or 30 people at once. 

I cannot risk being around so many people as I need to be able to return home regularly to my family and I cannot put them at risk. Therefore have been living away from my rented property due to the amount of people that have been entering it.

I will be moving out entirely as the property is unsafe.Is it the landlord's responsibility to ensure that restrictions are being followed during the pandemic? And is there anyway I can avoid paying to not live in a property that is unsafe for 7 more months of the academic year. 

As the property has one kitchen, and obviously bathrooms are shared, it is unsafe for me to live in an environment which is shared, against restrictions, by so many people and is not cleaned by the other tenants even slightly. 

Covid may not travel through doors and vents, but if I have to eat etc and use the same facilities as many others who may or may not have it, the property is unsafe and I am at risk of getting it myself.

You need to report your flatmates to the police and university, as they are breaking the law. 

Which country are you studying in?

• garry

depends if it is unsafe , if the owner said its not safe then you are entiled to a refund , if you only say its unsafe then you dont get a refund .whey have you got medical proof you can reside there .

You should speak with an attorney.

I think under the circumstances, you can postulate a very good argument for moving out. Notify the landlord IN WRITING that you have to leave and state the reasons--all of the reasons. Name names and dates and if you can, get photos of the conditions. Send this all to him. Then leave. 

It is not ONLY the landlord's responsibility--it is also the responsibility of the other tenants and YOU to see that restrictions are followed. If there is literally no way to prevent all those people from coming into your home, then you are within your rights to break the lease and get out for safety reasons. Call an attorney to confirm this, but something really ought to be done--you should probably also notify the Department of Health and the police. 

Please ensure your safety and get out. 

Although I would feel the same as you if I were in a similar situation, your signed lease is a legal contract and you would still be liable for the rent should you move. Your best option would be to complain to the local health department about the large gatherings and hope that they will notify the landlord to cease such illegal gatherings.

• Judy

yes you still have to pay.

Sorry.  Your rental contract is not dependent on how well you get along with your roommates or their guests.  You are free to take action to protect yourself, but can't make the landlord suffer the consequences by failing to pay rent you are contractually obligated to pay.  At best, you may have good cause to sue your roommates responsible for making you "feel" the rental is uninhabitable.

• ?

It is NOT the landlord who is inviting all the frat boys and girls into the house. It is you and your roomies.........

Risk of what?  Pandemic is fake

• Tavy

If the other tenants are at your .Uni, then talk to the Uni, they need to intervene.