Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

Someone broke into my house and stole my very expensive flat screen. What should I Do?

I did call the police but they are useless. This happened two weeks ago and nothing was resolved. I do have the money to buy another TV but now saving my money for a security system like cameras, locks, an alarm and a few other things. My flat screen wasn't cheap and now that's gone.

I would leave my car somewhere and hide in my house. Even if I had to go without lights for a couple weeks. If they come back, they leave in a bag.

• ?

Unfortunately your situation in most large cities is just another report

page in the day report or the night report. Unless a visible ID was

given by a neighbor or a passerby. It is asking a lot to pull something

out of the air. You can do a lot of things to secure your living facility

without going into costly ventures. Contact Your local crime prevention

detail at your Sheriffs department or the city unit. They can help with

ways to protect without great expense. I know this is not what you 

want to hear. However it is a good place to start.

• Edd S

Unfortunately too many police consider their work done by saying" We will make a report."  When something is stolen it is best to be silent about it to those other than the police.  Don't tell anyone.  Then listen , if it was stolen by someone you know, eventually they will say something like too bad your tv was stolen.  Then you will know who took it.   Having the serial numbers can help and you might have to be the mystery shopper if you think you have found it and ask for a closer look so you can read the numbers.  an excuse to see the back is   how is this thing hung up?   On some of my stuff I make an indelible mark, sometimes a big one and sometimes a minor one that someone won't notice that way I can tell by a quick look if it is mine.  Prepare for another robbery.  You have some good suggestions here below..

if it's online or used online then the serial numbers can be used to identify it's location but you have to have all the purchase documents tracking chips have been in almost all flat screens for 20 years maybe anyways they were suppose to be so that people could get their property back and the culprits put away...

A.I law enforcement non intrusive to regular people or their privacy and is a tool to end such activities in society... 

Freedom is a set of condition that exist when we as individuals respect the right of other individuals to be safe and secure in there persons papers and property

and for those that can't seem to respect that other methods need to be in force to accomplish those goals...

N.Shadows

What should you do? File an insurance claim. That's all you can do.

The police barely care about property crimes. What are you expecting? Full-blown CSI stuff? They'll give you a police report you can use when you file your insurance claim. 

Probably someone you know did it. Or someone who was scoping out the parking lot when you bought it for easy pickings be my guess. Get a giant huge watch dog.  

• ?

If this isn't trolling - get insurance! 

• Ann

If you have homeowner's insurance or renter's insurance, contact your insurance company and turn in your claim.  You will have to get a police report about the incident. 

Unfortunately, this is one of those things that can be hard to move forward with.  When there's nothing in the way of physical evidence (such as anything to tie the specific person to your house), and no video evidence to see everything in and outside of your home, the police literally have their hands tied as to what to do. 

My advice to you, assuming you didn't already, would be to ask your neighbors.  Maybe one of them has a security camera (such as a Ring camera), and if so, it's possible that they could have caught what happened on camera.  Even if they don't have a camera, it's possible that they could have seen something.  You could always check local pawn shops, though it doesn't seem like something that anyone would be able to specifically identify, undoubtedly as yours.  You would have to be able to prove it's yours, and that's obviously easier said than done. 

This kind of thing happens very often, and unfortunately when you don't have a security camera set up, and a decent home alarm, it's often impossible to do anything about it.  You should definitely invest in a decent security camera, both for outside and inside of your home.  Good luck to you. 

• ?

If there is a way to identify the TV then I would check out the local pawn shops.

If you find it I would inform the owner and call the police.

It is illegal for the pawn shop the keep it as the TV is stolen property.