Ayla asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

How do I get my cat to forgive me? ?

My kitten (F, 9 months) used to be really loving and affectionate with me before I helped my dad take her to the vet to be spayed and get shots. Ever since then she won’t let me pet her and she doesn’t come to me for attention anymore. What can I do to help regain her trust? It’s been a couple weeks and she’s still being cold towards me. 

• Maxi

Only been two weeks since the op, and the reality is the cat is not a human and doesn't think like one, so it is not 'holding you responsible'

My cat when she went in for spaying came home and disappeared it took me hours to find her she was hiding in the back of the wardrobe each time I fetched her out, she would disappear to the same place, so I put down water/food and litter tray next to her but she refused to eat/drink or toilet for about a week, refusing to come out at all....then after a week she 'arrived' in the kitchen meowing for feed, fed her and off she went back to her 'den' to hide.... took about 3-4 weeks before she was back to her normal self

She is still recovering from her surgery. The wound has not healed. Give her time to heal before resuming normal activities such as playing and petting. 

• ?

Cats easily forgive and forget. 

It honestly has nothing to do with spaying and getting shots. She's a teenager right now and hates everyone. It happens with humans and dogs, and yes, CATS, and it's not unlike a teen human: hating things, pushing boundaries, not listening, trying to explore the world for themselves, and trying to be independent. All my cats went through this stage, and it had nothing to do with vet visits and neutering. 

It may take a few weeks for the hormones to balance themselves out again, so that could be another reason. Honestly, just act like you don't care; like another cat, essentially, and she will come around again. Don't take it to heart. Again, all my kittens were so sweet and cuddly, then it seemed like one day out of nowhere, nothing. Not a purr, not a meow, just a cold hard stare as they shoved something off a shelf. They all came back around, though. Play with her more, DON'T overfeed treats thinking it will make her like you again, and just be there when she does want affection. She'll grow out of the teen phase in a few months or so.