Idea for wood transport in a forest where vehicles cannot enter?

Me and my team are university students working on a project. We have to find a way for community workers in Nepal to transport their wood harvest every day from the forest back to their village where it will be turned into charcoal. We had an idea to have some sort of mine cart system but that was rejected as being too expensive, or an "off-road shopping cart style electric powered thing" but they think it wouldn't be capable of traversing the forest grounds, where it’s muddy and steep, and the ground has a lot of tall grass.

Anyone has an "out of the box" idea? Or some sort of genius contraption?The logs are 3-4 cm in diameter and are 30 to 200 cm in length. 300-400 kg should be transported daily. The thing used should be easily used/controlled/maneuvered by anyone who is not an expert.

Update:

Lol and we asked, can´t use animals, can´t build anything permanent in the forest.

So many rules this is starting to feel impossible!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • garry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

how strong are your shoulders , sign says no vehicles allowed so carry the wood .now you know what no vehicle access means ..try horses on an oxen to a rope tighed around the wood and they can drag it .

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

elephants, or just human labor

• 2 months ago

Many places have dealt with this in the past with sluices- long channels with water running down them, where logs are sent down from the mountains- either to a dock where they were shipped out, or to mills where they were sawed. Do some research. 

• 2 months ago

'not an expert' is the problem.  animals are usually used for this task in lesser developed countries ... which ones are domesticated and can work in the conditions of Nepal?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Seems like it would better to make a portable burner and create the charcoal in the forest instead of transporting the wood. charcoal is lighter than green wood.  Not sure if thats possible and would probably require someone to stay with i t overnite to tend it. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.