What was the official date of Pluto no longer being a planet?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Just because a few geeklords decided it's not a planet, doesn't mean it's not.

• 2 months ago

24th August 2006.  Google is your friend you know.

• Robert
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

We don't know for sure what date it exploded, but, the IAU declared it gone on Aug 24, 2006.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I forget the date but Clyde Tombaugh was on his death bed shouting over and over again, Pluto is a Planet.

• ANDY
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Many scientists do not approve the IAU's vote in Prague in 2006 meeting. Why? For a few reasons they explain. First, the astronomers who remained there that last day were only just over 400 out of 2500 (the rest had gone home─obviously not interested enough to categorize Pluto as was listed in the program). Even Dr. Alan Stern, lead investigator for New Horizons mission to Pluto, called the resolution "laughable"!  He pointed out that both Earth and Jupiter have asteroids in their neighborhood."This is so scientifically sloppy and internally inconsistent that it is embarrassing", he wrote in an e-mail message.

Second, planetary scientists (or planetologists) claim that astronomers are not in a condition to vote that day in 2006 for planets. They did not study planets as they did. So only planetologists should have voted, but, alas, they were not there.

So why can't we leave Pluto as the ninth planet (which it had been as such for 76 long years) and call the others which are "inside" the Kuiper belt (Pluto is on the threshold) dwarf planets. Besides, during the 248-Earth-year-orbit around the sun, for a good 20 years Pluto is not the furthest planet to the sun. It's Neptune!!

• 2 months ago

i do not know...  He is still in the sky so I count him...

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Pluto and Ceres became dwarf planets on August 24, 2006.

A dwarf planet IS A TYPE OF PLANET. After more than 14 YEARS it IS time to accept it STOP ARGUING about it and wasting peoples' time and bandwidth and MOVE ON. 

If you are still obsessed with this topic after 14vYEARSyou need professional medical help and genuinely should be in a mental ward or a prison or are already there. When 4% of the IAU votes at the END of a?scientific conference and the IAU has Failed to change this even after it became very clear that Pluto HAS cleared its orbit of similarly sized objects, that is a symptom that our global village has major problems while we still have an incomptent, obviously mentally ill president STILL IN OFFICE because the Senate REFUSES TO DO ANYTHING. Maybe it is the end times. 

I posted the correct date FIRST. That was from memory, NOT A GOOGLE SEARCH.

• 2 months ago

2006 when I was 4 years old

but I was born in the fall so I was 3 years old in August

• KennyB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

August, 2006

The International Astronomical Union downgraded Pluto to a “dwarf planet” on the date.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.