Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

If a library can be accessed by the students and staffs of a few schools, is it called private or public?

Or is there any other words that better describe it?

That's a school library. You have to be a member of one of the schools to acess it. It's not open to the public. Unless it's through Inter Library Loans.

It's not a public library.  I guess it would be a private library.

• ?

If you mean "can be accessed ONLY by the students and staff of a few schools", then it's certainly not public.

But your question didn't say that. Your question only said "can be accessed by the students and staff of a few schools"  -  which is true of all public libraries.

So which do you mean?

Besides, your question would be better placed in "Education".

If a library is part of the interlibrary loan system then anyone can request books from the general circulation collection. I go to my local university library to browse, and then get the books I want from ILL by way of my free public library membership. Therefore, I would not say that most university libraries are "private". Law school libraries definitely operate on the principle that the law and law libraries are for everyone. Law librarians help out the self represented all the time. Yes; they even have time and patience for the "sovereign citizens" et al,  as long as they are civil. 

See the film Can You Ever Forgive Me if you want to know how to get access to the rare stuff. However, please do not change out the documents like her, or whoever did the Majestic 12 hoax. The Majestic 12 hoax was when some unknown person actually added bogus documents to an archive, and then cited them-really very clever. As I understand it, the Majestic 12 hoaxer used a vintage typewriter and vintage paper-but had the "TOP SECRECT" stamps all wrong. 

In any case, the point is some crank from the general public could get access to the archive in the first place. This is totally unlike the hapless soul who provided 1960s era documents composed in Microsoft Word in an attempt to prove that GWB did not show up for his National Guard drill. Just using courier typeface did not fool document examiners at all. 

A friend of mine had the odd experience of ending up with a book from the sixteenth century from the general circulation of a uni. library. He thought he was requesting a reprint, but it turned out to be the real thing! He could have probably paid the lost book fee, and then made money with the book on Abe Books. He advised the librarian and it went into the rare collection. 

Maybe "institutional" is the word you want here. For example, if you are an actual historian you can access all sort of exotic Nazi documents in the German National Archives. However, because of David Irving they are now said to be fussy about letting latter day Nazis at these documents. 

Basically, just about any worthwhile library is public for those whose CV shows they are not just trolls. I guess if one is a troll, then have a good Linkedin profile?! The following is funny, because these sorts of things actually do happen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpF5EZy9ZOY

Youtube thumbnail

If the library is not accessible to the general public, it is not a public library

• Marli

It is a school library or an academic library. The schools "own" it.  If you need an "either public or private" answer, it is a private library, restricted to the students and staff of those schools.

• Cogito

Private.  Meaning that not everyone is allowed in.

It is still private - membership is restricted to those institutions, a member of the public can't just wander in and borrow material (they may be able to use a library without being a member but not as of right). These are usually described as academic libraries.

In my country the content of National Library was provided publicly because of pandemic. But I had to prove that I am a student.