Why is my house keeping warm without the heater on?

The high outside has been in the upper 60's to maybe 71 or 72 for a couple weeks. We've turned off the AC. Have not turned on the heater yet, but our house is still at 70 even 4 or 5 hours after the sun goes down. Right now it is 54 outside and still 70 in my house. 

I'm not complaining, but seriously curious about why this is.

A little info: my house is 2 bedrooms. We rarely use the oven, occasionally use the stove. The only things that I can think of thay make heat in our house is the water heater in the garage and a fish tank heater in each of my 3 aquariums. 

Okay, thanks guys. I guess I'll just chalk it up to insulation, though we have a doggy door and a pretty poorly sealed door to the garage. And its getting warmer inside than the high temp some days 🤷🏼‍♀️ just weird. 

Just wanted to see if people thought it was our new fish tank heaters why its hotter than usual in our house

Oh. Also we live in the desert, so it cools down quickly at night with not much to hold in the heat. So I just thought it was so weird that at night it'd be like 45 outside and 70 inside with a high of 65 that day. 

I do know about insulation. Just had been wondering if there may be another factor here, just didn't do a good job of explaining it here. 😅

Insulation, and a lot of sunny days!   Our place is always warmer inside during the day, when the central heating is off, on a sunny day.   And it also depends on how often the outside door gets opened.

• ?

good insulation 

It is what they call residual heat which is in the walls as the walls are still radiating daytime heat.  If you had a huge boulder out in the yard in the sun all day then it gets too hot to sit on but later you can sit on it before the sun goes down as the rock still has the heat in the rock. The air may be cooler but not your bum.

• garry

havent you heard  of insulation , of heated thu the windows ..

Your house is well insulated.

My house stays warm in cold weather...simply through the sunlight that fills the rooms. I designed my house so the windows allow sunshine filled rooms.

• Droopy

Its well insulated an tight.  So your not having  alot of heat loss. 

• ?

Insulation and thermal mass.  Thermal mass is like a flywheel, but for heat - once things get warmed up, they don't cool down instantly unless they weigh nothing and there's nothing stopping the heat from getting away.

Sunlight comes in through the windows and warms up the inside of your home.  But the shortwave IR heat of sunlight passes through glass easily; longwave IR of warm objects re-radiating that heat doesn't so the heat stays inside.  Insulation doesn't let the heat out.  The house gets warm and stays warm.

Its well insulated. That's good.

• ?

The outside walls collect heat during the daytime and some of that heat warms your house even after the sun goes down.  {This is much more noticeable after a hot summer day.}

Where I am from at night it is 34 degrees f. and I have my furnace set to 68 still comfortable!