Anonymous

why is black face racist?

i am white. if i paint my face black, i'd be called a racist. why?

I have no idea.

Blackface has a long tradition in white culture that has nothing to do with race or people with black skin.  Similar traditions of 'white face' exist in African and Aboriginal cultures as part of historical cultural activities. They are not insulting white people any more than traditional black-face insults black people.

Black-face in the context of so called 'minstrels' is NOT part of the tradition and such performances can include the unacceptable exaggeration of racial stereotypes. That is not acceptable or entertaining.

Black-face in acting is a different matter. The job of an actor is to pretend to be something they are not. That may include being a person of a different occupation, status, religion, sexuality, physical ability or race. It would be nonsense to suggest a king has to be played by a real king or that a superhero has to be played by a real superhero. Similarly, there is no reason an actor should not play ANY role for which they can be adequately made-up, dressed or otherwise made suitable.  Was Christopher Timothy really a vet in 'All Creatures Great and Small?'. No, of course not, and it didn't matter because he was ACTING.

It would be insulting to white people if their cultural traditions were curtailed due to their false re-interpretation by people ignorant of their roots.

Because people are stupid and emotionally unstable. I see no problem with people painting their face black if they're not doing it in a mocking way.

• Sandy

I'm black, and if I paint my face white, how would you feel. it's demeaning, and extremely disrespectful on both counts.