Is a shallot much different in taste than regular or green onions?

I am going to be making risotto and the recipe calls for 3 shallots. I believe that they are not very common in my grocery and may be expensive compared to green or regular onions. What is your opinion?

What would 3 shallots cost?

They have an onion-y taste, but it is a bit milder to me, and has a bit of a different savory tone. I really wouldn't worry if you don't have them, you can use a spanish onion, or really, what ever you can get. I say spanish onion as they are mild as well, and would be a closer match to a shallot than a yellow onion or green onions, which are both somewhat tangier.

• ?

It win’t ruin it to use ordinary onions. 

I bought a sack of them (first time) for about 2 bucks- I found them stronger than I expected but have a good onion taste - yellow onion or sweet onion would be just as good in most cases. 

• denise

They have a milder onion flavour than green and regular ones, they are used to start off sauces And sometimes stocks e.t.c.

Yes... Indeed...

You can use a mild sweeter onion in place of the shallot.  You can "tame" an onion by slicing it according to your recipe then allowing it to soak in cold water for 10 minutes or so then drain and pat dry. (Pat dry so if you have to sauté it the onion will not steam)

For a Risotto onions will be just fine, no need to soak them even. Just chop them fine and you are good to go

You won't be using enough of them for it to be very expensive, get the shallots.

Green onion is a very different flavor, if you want to sub something for the shallot, I'd go for a mild and sweet onion, not a green onion.  But if it were me, I'd use the shallot.  They are milder and sweeter and have a ... slightly more refined and less pungent character than regular onions.  Risotto is a delicate and sophisticated dish, that will take considerable time, I'd spend the extra few pennies for the shallot.

• kswck2

Shallots are a small reddish-brown onion that can be quite strong.  A Red onion can be used to replace it. So instead of 3 shallots, use one medium red onion. 

• CB

I bought a sack of them (first time) for about 2 bucks- I found them stronger than I expected but have a good onion taste  - yellow onion or sweet onion would be just as good in most cases. 

Shallots have a bit stronger and sharper taste than green onions.  Add a bit of garlic if you want to sharpen the taste.