Disco Stu asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 2 months ago

If The Godfather insists upon itself, are there other films other people feel are brilliant but you feel are overrated?

Shawshank Redemption.

The acting is good, the story well-written; but it's cliche and there's something about it I dislike.

I feel the same way about The Truman Show. But then, Jim Carrey is a divisive actor.

Karen: Apt user name (I joke).

• ?

Opinion on film can be very subjective. The Godfather is a brilliant film, but since they show it every month on TV, the film loses it's appeal every time it plays. I judge a movie based on what I thought the first time I saw it. Both The Godfather and The Godfather II were magnificent at their first showing--that's what counts. 

Now, as far as other films I saw the first time and wasn't that impressed...

- Avatar

- The Blair Witch Project

- All of the Lord of Rings movies

- Star Wars and the trilogies that followed

- All of the Indiana Jones movies

- Shakespeare in Love

- Slumdog Millionaire

There are too many to list, but the movies above I didn't like the first time I saw them, or the other times after trying to find something interesting about them. 

Taxi Driver

A Clockwork Orange

Field of Dreams 

The English Patient. I lost my patience with its dreadfully slow pacing.

• User

The first time I tried to watch The Godfather, I fell asleep.

Also: the second time.

The third time I finally managed to stay awake through the entire film

and at the end I wondered why I went to the trouble.

I just don't understand why people think it's such a great film.

With Shawshank, I didn't fall asleep...but I didn't like it either. Maybe it's because "the moral of the story" was that if you are not a criminal you're screwed, but if you become a criminal then you win. The movie describes the moral fall of the man who was not [apparently] immoral...and how that fall leads to his success (at the expense of others, of course).

Other "greats" that I didn't like:

- Annie Hall - fell asleep during that one, too. just boring

- Forrest Gump - I couldn't suspend my disbelief, it was TOO much fiction while TRYING and FAILING to be realistic. That is: the character, and his super abilities, were just too unbelievable.

- The Green Mile - which suggests that Jesus was merely a man with super-psychic powers, and which also is just a very depressing movie

- The Lion King - in my opinion, one of the least-good of Disney's animated films. Pick *almost* any Disney animated film, I like it a LOT better. Maybe it's due to the unrealistic behavior of the animals. Maybe it's the sappy music. Maybe it's the predictable storyline. Maybe it's a combination of all of those.

Oh, only about 93% of all the films there are.