If a tenant rents the propane tanks  buys the gas Would the landlord be responsible for a $100.00 fee to have them returned when he moved ?

Update:

The gas co wants a $100.00 fee to come & get their tanks, since  the tanks are on my property who is responsible to see that they are returned? What if they are stolen?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

If the tenant rented it from the gas company then they need to pay to return it. If the tenant moved out without doing so then have it done and add it to their move out charges. 

• 2 months ago

As your tenant contracted for those tanks, the responsibility is his. If you're being bothered by the propane company, do what I would do: Notify them that, as of Dec. 1, 2020, you will be charging them a monthly storage fee for each and every month they remain on your property. That should eliminate your problem.

• 2 months ago

Not unless the company had the LL's signature somewhere.  

• 2 months ago

Who contracted with the gas company to have the tanks installed?  That's who is responsible for the return fee. If the tenant is responsible and moves out without having the tanks removed, the landlord should write the company a letter stating that it was the tenant, not them, who entered into the contract. That they want the tanks removed by a specific date and if not removed, the landlord will charge the company a storage fee, that the company needs to pursue the tenant.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Why would you want the tanks returned?  If you have appliances that need propane, you are going to need tanks.  You are making this more complicated than necessary. 

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, the tenant signed the rental contract not the landlord, so the tenant is 100% responsible to get written permission from their landlord BEFORE they arrange rental of the tanks and the tenant is 100% legally responsible for all fees

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The cost should be the tenant's. I suggest the landlord pays it and then claims the money from the tenant

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.