Lv 5

Can my father's ex-wife come after me for alimony, if my father can't support his ex-wife's life style?

My father and his then wife moved into my home rent free, they had the use of the swimming pool, my husband's boat and this woman took it upon herself that she would be using my children's horses. My husband and I have been living in our home for 15 years and thought it would be nice that my father and his wife would move in, since this house is in an isolated area.

There marriage lasted for 10 yrs , and now she thinks that my home is their marital home and everything needs to be divided up since the divorce. She also wants me to pay alimony since my father is supported by me.

Does she have a legal right to my home since she was married to my father while living in my home?


@ David, my husband children and I don't think we have to worry about squatters rights, since we bought our home and enlarged it, by adding an extra a third floor and enlarging the kitchen, added a Jacuzzi in our bedroom and another one in the conservatory. We spent a lot of money on this home, and we have the documents to prove it. I can't see how someone can come along and think they can take my home just because she married my father.

Update 2:

@ Andrew Smith, She's living in an apartment that doesn't have all the luxuries as my home offered and she's upset at my father, me and my husband and that she wants the same lifestyle as she did before she was divorced from my father and wants me to pay for it. My husband is now upset at her and told her to suck rocks, and that it's not happening. I'm worried that she is going to go after me and my husband for compensation, since my father can't pay for her.

21 Answers

  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    The woman must've lost her mind or never had 1. If you live in the US you have nothing to worry about. Where is she from?

  • 2 months ago

    Not in any way shape or form are you going to have to pay this woman's alimony, OR share any part of your property with her. She has not one single whit of a legal claim to any of it. 

    Get a copy of that divorce agreement. Take it to an attorney and tell him or her what she's trying to do. Have the attorney deal with her--and do this yesterday--because she's obviously batsh*t crazy.  Get a restraining order while you're at it. . Your attorney will advise you.  

  • 2 months ago

    You can look up the laws but I never heard of any laws that would make you in any way beholden to her. If there were such a law it would not be constitutional.

  • keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Alimony? No. You weren't married to her. That simple.

    Marital home? No again. It's your house clearly, not your father's. You invited your father. He brought her in. She has no right whatsoever.

    If she bothers you further, you have two choices. Call the cops or get a lawyer. The first one is free. If she insists, tell her to meet you in court.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Tell her that .22 bullets are cheap.

  • 2 months ago

    She would have no legal rights to obtain alimony from anyone other than your father, However, depending on the state of residence, it may be difficult, costly, and time-consuming to remove her from the house. Some of the more liberal states give her some rights. I would suggest consulting an attorney pertaining to evicting her.

  • 2 months ago

    I don't see how she has any legal ground to stand on

  • 2 months ago

    There are very few places in the world that still support "alimony" given that women can earn their own income.  Joint marital property is divided.  The fact that you let them stay in your house doesn't make it marital property although you may have difficulty evicting either of them.  They may have an ongoing expectation to stay without some other formal agreement.

    There is no known legal argument that would make you or your husband liable for anyone else.  You have a liability to each other because you are married to each other.  This woman is full of bluster and bravado.  Even if she tried some form of legal mumbo jumbo that doesn't mean a court would give her the time of day.  Tell her to go away and leave you alone.  You do have harassment laws that can be applied.

  • 2 months ago

    I think about the worst she can do is impose squatters rights on you, and that's just dependant on which state you live. As a squatter, you have to evict her like you would any renter regardless to if there's a lease agreement, but that's in my state, which is a conservative state so I'm thinking it's possible for you too. 

  • 2 months ago

    No way. She is mad. Send her to a lawyer.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.