?
Lv 7
? asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Was the Duke of York who named New York the same Duke of York with the 10,000 men of the children's song?

I know that NewYork is so named because it's first Governor was Duke of York, but do not know if he was the same Duke as in the song. There have been quite a number of Dukes of York and there is still a Duke of York today. York is a city in northern England.

PS IDK if the current Duke of York has ever visited the city named after his ancestor.

Update:

Anonymous - You misunderstood what I meant when I said idk if the current Duke of York has visited the city named after his ancestor. I meant that idk if he has visited NEW York.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • gerald
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It was the wars of the roses when the house of York fought the house of Lancaster for the throne of England , so there were several dukes of York Richard 111 was the brother of King Edward 1V father of the famous princes in the tower and subject of a Shakespeare  play, much derided as a bad king  it could probably be him he lost the throne in Battle 

• !
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Nope. The song refers to a richard, duke of york, who was a claimant to the english throne in 1460, some 200 years before new york was named after the brother of king charles 2nd

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The 'proprietor' of New York was the future King James II (defeated by William of Orange) who marched his troops his troop to Salisbury Plain only to have them retreat again. He is a strong candidate for the song The Grand Old Duke of York, aas it dates from the Civil War era, but there are other contenders, viz: Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany in the 18th century and the lyrics may have changed over time. Traditionally the title of Duke of York (when available) is given to the second son of the monarch. It is inheritable, but as things have worked out the holders have either become king (in which case it becomes extinct - this was the case for both Georges V and VI) or have only had daughters, as is the case with the present Duke. The Duke of York has visited the City of York (which used to be in the County of York, rather than Yorkshire) many times - he opened the Army Museum in Tower Street, close to the castle.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.