Steven
Lv 4
Steven asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Does Assyrian king Shalmaneser I, blinding 14,400 Hittites in one eye, account for the one eyed migrants in Irish mythology, and also Odin?

".[2] He incorporated the remains of the Mittanni kingdom as part of one of the Assyrian provinces. Shalmaneser I also claimed to have blinded 14,400 enemy prisoners in one eye. He was one of the first Assyrian kings who was known to deport his defeated enemies to various lands rather than simply slaughtering them all.".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shalmaneser_I .

And yes, i know it will be disputed by someone that those were Hittites, as nowhere were Hittites mentioned.

But yes, they were Hittites.

"Tukulti-Ninurta I succeeded Shalmaneser I, his father, as king and won a major victory against the Hittite Empire".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tukulti-Ninurta_I .

Also Odin was depicted as having one-eye.

"Old Norse texts portray Odin as one-eyed and long-bearded".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odin .

(If you do not know about one eyed giants returning to Ireland in Irish mythology, please accept this question is not for you).

Odin painting below.

Update:

Behind the euhemerical childrens tales, is there evidence the Druids knew real history?

Attachment image

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Elaine
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

According to the Norse myths Odin willingly sacrificed one eye in exchange for wisdom.  This would have nothing to do with the Assyrians and their treatment of defeated enemies.  Odin is more than a war god, a sky god, god of the gallows;  he is also the god of the runes. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Steven - you are perhaps unaware that euhemerism (allegedly discovering historical fact in myths) has pretty well been thrown out of court - like other themes beloved of Victorian writers - the 'solar myth' and the 'dying and returning god' - but you should know - because I have already told you - that myths, legends and what are often called 'fairy tales' but rarely deal with fairies are *not* stories for children. Children originally listened to them, no doubt, as did the rest of the family, and they are often thought, by people who know little about fairy tales except the Disney versions to be only for children (I suggest anyone who really believes that reads 'The Juniper Tree'). But they are not. I am a story teller, as well as a writer, can assure you of that.

You can also read JRR Tolkien 'On Fairy Stories'. In fact you should.

The Irish legends you quote, grotesque as they sound were once accepted as history. But if you want them to be history, you have to accept the Fir Bolg's trousers, and the Irish invader fleeing from 150 sex-starved women to turn into a salmon - or indeed the hero Cuchulain, who was conceived three times and born twice and subject to battle frenzy in which he killed friend and enemy alike, which could only be calmed if the women of Ireland took their clothes off and stood before him...

Now WHAT 'one-eyed giants returning to Ireland' - what legend, what story are you talking about? I told you about the giant Balor, the leader of the Fomorians, but he was a single one-eyed giant. The rest of the Fomorians were monstrous in their own ways - and some were said to have one eye, one arm and one leg - did the Assyrian King cut the arms and legs off his enemies as well as blinding them in one eye? and did the blinding make them grow to giant size?

And by the way, did you notice the little word '*claimed* to have blinded..."

And why would 14,400 prisoners have any relationship at all to Odin?

He wasn't blinded by an Eastern king. He deliberately gave up one of his physical eyes so that he could see further into the occult world. He was a shaman - he hung for nine nights on a tree, spear wounded, strange sacrifice, himself to himself so he could learn the secrets of the runes. He was the gallows rider, followed by the wolves and ravens who clean up after a battle, a god of war who occasionally dresses as a woman...

However there is no mention of him being a mutilated Hittite if they were Hittitites.

Do stop it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No they became the Arimaspi.

There are literally dozens of one-eyed creatures and people in world mythologies.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.