Goerge
Goerge asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

How would you use broccoli florets?

I have at least 5 pounds so I can certainly use more than 1 suggestion. 

An easy way is to steam it and drizzle with cheese or a little garlic butter. 

I am not happy with the answers, not happy at all. I have so many good suggestions and some that I will be combining with other answers. You guys are making it near impossible to pick a best answer. 

I don't normally cook with ginger but last week I bought some so I would have to and now bluebellbkk has given me a reason. Thank you. 

• ?

Stir-fried with garlic and slivers of fresh ginger, served with steamed rice and soya sauce.

• Goerge

Bluebellbkk's stir-fry suggestion sounded good but me being me, I added some bacon too. I used broccoli, garlic, carrots, fresh ginger, jalapenos, onions and green and red bell peppers. Blue suggested soy(I'm not Canadian) sauce over rice so I made that too but this was boiled basmati rice. Still fluffy and flavorful but not quite as many nutrients. 

• denise

As well as having it on its own as a meal 'side',  I sometimes make 'Broccoli Cheese' or A cauliflower & broccoli cheese bake topped with a herby crumb.

Blanched broccoil florets are good served with other veggies around a bowl of Tasty dip, there are lots of dip recipes around.

Small florets are good in a stir fry,  Or blanched & stirred through an alfredo pasta dish.

Here's a wacky thought :- You can get pickled cauliflower, so maybe you could pickle broccoli?? [ Dont quote me on this, I just thought of it! ].  

Ha, if you go to your recent question about easy meals I've just left you an idea!  Broccoli is my most used cruciferous vegetable.  If I had it my way I'd serve it every day - but I'm not that evil.

I do a good broccoli, leek and parsnip soup.  

I made this orsotto last week with ordinary broccoli instread of the tendersteam the recipe called for.  I enjoyed it very much, but barley isn't everybody's bag being very chewy, but I offer it for inspiration:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/barley-broccol...

Here's a recipe from an Italian site I've made a few times.  My favourite Italian deli keeps running out of sausages, so the last time I made it I used British pork and apple sausages and I might just stick to that in the future:

https://ricette.giallozafferano.it/Fagottini-ai-br...

There's the classic pasta con broccoli which is a quick and easy supper or you can go fancier with saffron, raisins, anchovies and other good stuff.

Turnovers are great things to have tucked in the freezer for when you can be bothered to cook and make nice lunches:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/broccoli-ham-t...

Always good in a stir fry!  Peppers are an obvious pairing, but so are peanuts.  Peanuts are broccoli are made for each other.  Anymore who gets over their misgivings and tries it end up agreeing.

It it's really, really fresh I like it just ever so lightly steamed with nothing at all and will even ignore the baked salmon fillet next to it on the plate until done.

Simple pasta bake with (cooked) penne, ground beef, crushed tomatoes (or canned cherry tomatoes) a lot of torn basil leaves, a pinch of sugar, black pepper, topped with grated sharp cheddar and baked.  Definitely more than the sum of its parts.

• CB

Blanch, dry, freeze individual florets on a cookie sheet lined with parchment, toss in freezer bags for later use. 

• ?

Put them in casseroles, soup, or a stir fry

I would be all about the cream of broccoli soup, and also beef and broccoli stir fry.

• kswck2

Blanch them and use in stir fry. Boil about 3 minutes and make a cream or cheese sauce. Use in a casserole. Broccoli cheese soup is perfect on a cold day, add a bit of bacon and serve with a crusty bread. 

It is extremely high in vitamins. Large fresh ones are good raw for dipping in ranch dressing. There are soups, garlic butter, cheese, quickly pan fried with onions, or with salad dressings. 

They mix with soup concentrates such as cream of mushroom or chicken. They mix with egg noodles and a cream of chicken. 

https://www.ventray.com/en-us/recipes/creamy-brocc...

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/broccoli-casserol...

I would make broccoli and bacon soup with it. I would use chicken broth, just enough to cover the broccoli, about 2 chicken bullion cubes and onion, salt to taste. When they are almost tender drain some of the chicken broth, about a little under half (most of the broth) then add some half and half (enough to cover the florets) and bacon bits, reduce heat gradually until it's a thicker consistency. Add cheese if you like. Enjoy.