? asked in Food & DrinkNon-Alcoholic Drinks · 2 months ago

What is the best hot chocolate?

Which is the best hot chocolate that taste rich and creaming.  Not the artificial stuff that makes you sick but the real homemade old fashioned hot chocolate? 

I tried FRY'S cocoa that has been around since 1728 - but it taste pasty not delicious, it is not the way it use to be many years ago - the real true chocolate.  So to make my cocoa taste better I have little paper wrapped Hershey's chocolate (tiny one inch bars) that I add for real chocolatey taste.  They are amazing and I will have to try their powdered chocolate.  You all mention in your posts pure cocoa and that is my question also - which brand is pure cocoa?

• ?

You do not want quick and easy something someone else made.

You want to start with 100% cocoa -- I use Hershey's Cocoa.

Then you need the recipe -- again, I use Hershey's recipe: https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en_us/recipes/he...

• ?

The kind with marshmallows 

You say you want hot chocolate, but are talking about cocoa.  Cocoa powder is used in hot cocoa, not hot chocolate.  Hot chocolate is milk with chocolate, not cocoa powder.  Deavas chocolate drops are good, and available at Costco.  Taza has chocolate discs if you prefer Mexican chocolate.  And several stores now carry hot chocolate bombs, which are suddenly trendy.

Just heat 2 cups of milk on the stove, and whisk in 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder and 2 tbsp of sugar. If you want to fancy it up you can add instant espresso powder, a pinch of salt, and vanilla, almond, or peppermint extract.

• ?

Use pure cocoa powder and add sugar or sweetener to taste.

No mix rivals what you can do at home in a saucepan, and it's not a lot harder than a mix, really. Here's one basic recipe.

1/4  cup unsweetened cocoa powder   

½ cup granulated sugar   

⅓ cup hot water   

⅛ teaspoon salt   

4 cups milk (dairy or non-dairy)   

1 teaspoon vanilla extract   

In a medium saucepan, combine the cocoa powder, sugar, water, and salt over medium heat.

Cook, stirring constantly until smooth and bring to a simmer.

Reduce heat, and stir in the milk, do not boil.

Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour into mugs and serve immediately.

• Kevin

nobody will know until 2024 or 2025 when the pandemic ends. Given that the pandemic is the worst pandemic in history, everything is sold out and people are stocking up on food to last them for the next several years while they isolate in their homes for the next 4-5 years until the pandemic is over. Until then, people will suffer and will not enjoy things such as hot chocolate, concerts, traveling, and social interaction and touch anymore for another 5 years or longer.