Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Is it still acceptable to buy a little girl a doll for her birthday?

My niece is turning 5 on December 4th and I still need to buy her something. Do you think it’s still acceptable to buy a little girl a doll in these times?

• ?

i dont see why not

• ?

I have a niece and nephew and I always ask their parents what they want.

If you know what she likes, just buy something like that. If she likes dolls, go for it. If you have no idea & the parents won't tell you, you could get her something for girls & something for boys to cover your bases & that will help her understand that she doesn't have to behave a certain way just because she's a girl. Or you could try to find something neutral to get her if buying 2 things is too expensive or something.

If she's grateful enough than quite possibly so imo zxjqk

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• Jane

Find out what she likes to do, what she is like as a small person. This can be hard if you're not in regular contact with her, I had a similar challenge with my nephews when they were growing up far away. I used to put a package together, one year a Build-a -bear soft toy where you can record a voice message

https://www.buildabear.co.uk/

They also really enjoyed a birthday calendar to enjoy the run-up to birthday- it's like an Xmas advent calendar but for birthdays. 

Of course you can get a doll, but it seems a bit like trying to guess what she wants just cos she's a girl- so don't get stuck on whether it's 'acceptable', the important thing is whether she will enjoy her birthday, and that you get a sense of connection with her. 

You could also ask her parents.

• Rick

I hope it is and I don't believe it's become unacceptable to do this.  Speak with her parents about it to see if they're ok with it.

Of course it is. It's much better than buying her make-up or condoms.

• ?

You'd have to check with the parents because with all the hew and cry about gender, gender roles, et al, you don't want to inadvertently insult these people if they're attempting to raise a "gender neutral" kid. 

• ?

Call her mother and ask.  Her mother will know what she likes and what she needs.

its fine - most little girls want to play with dolls - forget all the poilcally correctness rubbish - you are just buying your 5 year old niece a bitrthday present