Lex

Kindle not Connecting to wifi?

I have a 4th generation Kindle touch. The current firmware installed is 5.3.7.3.

I cannot get this Kindle to connect to my home wifi. Whenever I try, the following message appears.

Wi-Fi Error

Your kindle is unable to connect to the Wi-Fi Network (network name). Press Set Up to enter your password again or manually set up your network. If you have issues connecting to your Kindle to Wi-Fi, you can find help at www.kindle.com/support.

I have reset the device completely, and this fixed the problem for a few hours, but once the device was turned off and restarted, I had the same issue again. It can connect through my phone if I turn my phone into a hotspot.

I do have an Asus RT-AC1200 duel router that has 2.4GHz band and a 5GHz band. It doesn't register the 5Ghz band but it does detect the 2.4Ghz band. It just won't connect to it. I've updated all my router firmware, but the problem tends to persist. I also manually updated my Kindle firmware, just in case there was a corrupt piece there, and nope.

I have brought the issue up to Amazon support, but they're not tech people. They're sales people who used the opportunity to try to sell me a new Kindle, even though this one appears to be working fine, aside from this hiccup. They wanted my money, but they didn't want to help.  

Any suggestions would be fine.

Most other things connect to the 2.4 GHz band without issue. And this is not a unique problem with the 4th Generation Kindle. But why should Amazon fix it if they can just convince you to buy a new one?

Um... Okay, if you're going to cite a source, make sure it's not from 2016 (my kindle was bought in 2017 and it's completely up to date on firmware) and definitely make sure it isn't the Verge. The Verge is the same idiotic source that said that tried to benchmark their "custom built high end computer' with League of Legends.

• Lex

If I could award myself best answer, I would. But I had to change my router to N, my control channel to 11 and the bandwidth to 40MHz, but I got it to work.

That old Kindle sitting in your desk drawer is about to get locked out from the internet. Amazon is warning customers of older Kindle e-readers that they must update by Tuesday, March 22nd, or else they will no longer be able to access the Kindle Store or sync with the cloud. That means, most importantly, that you won't be able to download new books. The emergency update is for the original Kindle Paperwhite (2012) and every Kindle before it. If you do not update your Kindle before that date, Amazon says you'll receive this warning when you try to access internet services:

Your Kindle is unable to connect at this time. Please make sure you are within wireless range and try again. If the problem persists, please restart your Kindle from the Menu in Settings and try again.

All Kindles download and install the latest updates automatically if they're connected to Wi-Fi while asleep. If your Kindle is sitting somewhere in your house unplugged, however, it likely isn't updated with the latest version, and you should turn it on and make it pull the new update by clicking "Sync and Check for Items" in the menu.

Fortunately, you won't be entirely out of luck if you forget to update your device (hello readers who search for this article months from now). You'll just have to do it manually by downloading the update file from Amazon's website and transferring it to your Kindle via a USB cable. For more detailed instructions, select your device on this help page. Of course, if it's not March 22nd, 2016 yet, just connect to Wi-Fi and do it the easy way right now. A full list of affected Kindle devices follow.

Kindle 1st Generation (2007)

Kindle 2nd Generation (2009)

Kindle DX 2nd Generation (2009)

Kindle Keyboard 3rd Generation (2010)

Kindle 4th Generation (2011)

Kindle 5th Generation (2012)

Kindle Touch 4th Generation (2011)

Kindle Paperwhite 5th Generation (2012)

Read more.................