? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Should it be illegal to censor people in a public forum like Yahoo Answers?

Yes it should be illegal if someone threatens someone but if hundreds of people are building up thousands of troll accounts can you at least let me keep my one account with points if I prefer to have all my points in one place instead of shadow banning me over one stupid thing? 

No it shouldn't be illegal. First off you don't get shadow banned on Yahoo. If they ban you they TELL YOU that you are banned(I had an account banned and started a new one back when Y!A was a decent site). Second if you don't like their rules then you simply leave. They are paying to provide the "land" so they get to set the rules. 

Also for anyone who doesn't know what a SHADOW Ban is that is when you are still allowed to "post" and as far as you know it is still showing, but no one else will see it. The only way you'd know you are shadow banned would be if you look on another account and see that what you are posting doesn't show up. Yahoo does not do this.

• Dick

Censorship in ANY form is wrong. Censorship is the tool of despots and dictators. If you can't stand criticism, no matter HOW unfair or wrong, your position is weak.   The opposition should be allowed to show how wrong they are, at all times. Religion, dictators, and cheaters, need censorship. The honest and righteous do NOT.

• this has always been a place to ask and answer questions, thats it, anything else is a violation of the rules.

Illegal? This is a privately owned business, and you're using it for free. You have no contract with Yahoo. They don't have to carry your opinions on their service, and they don't have to ensure that you're treated 'fairly'.

• Kathy

Some people go too far on here.

Technically, it's a private forum. Meaning Yahoo is not owned by the government. So they can do what they want. I don't believe in censorship. They only way to combat bad speech or false speech is with good speech & free speech. Censorship will never kill an idea. 

• Kieth

Read the Terms of Service, it's not censorship.