Recently purchased a 6 speed manual riding mower & had a question?

So, this is my first time purchasing a riding lawn mower for myself. This one has, as said the six speed shifting. Can't use it for the next few days as it's storming out, but was thinking about the throttle while assembling it. If the throttle is say, on low but the shift is on high gear(6) would it still go that speed? Or would it be held back by the low throttle and it would drive slow? Just was wondering if the throttle needed to be on full for it to reach it's max speed. Thanks

• ?

When mowing, you typically run the engine at full throttle and choose a transmission gear to set your speed.  6th speed is used to move the mower from place to place, as it moves too fast to cut properly.  My mower is a 5 speed and I usually mow in 2nd or 3rd gear.  Mine will run in 5th gear with the throttle set at idle but it's tricky to set it in motion.    

• fuzzy

The throttle should  be set to max speed while mowing to keep the blade speed up, and select a low gear for a good finish

Shift sets the gear ratio from low to high, but the engine must be running fast enough to support that demand. The rider might stall if throttle is too low for the gear ratio setting. The same applies to a standard shift car.