? asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Does any of this have to do with whether or not I am thinking clearly?

I am male and 20. Ive eaten junk food for close to 5 years straight.

I got my blood drawn recently and everything was in what my test papers called "normal range" except 3 things which were slightly above the "normal range":

-hemogloblin

-red blood cell count

-calcium level

Keep in mind a "normal range" can be in unhealthy parts of a spectrum. A normal range is just the range where average people are in. So just because those above 3 of mine were slightly above normal range doesn't necessarily mean they were at unhealthy levels. 

my glucose levels obviously were in "normal range". 

Does any of this imply that my physical health is effecting my mental capacities? 

I was emotionally neglected growing up, I was coddled too. I inherited middle class money especially on my dad's side. Might how i was raised be why I am so forgetful and impatient today? I am so impatient that I dont think how an adult is expected to at age 20. 

Or was I merely born with one of the forms of ADHD?

Im able to sit still and im not physically hyper active. But i display impulsive thinking by how forgetful I am and I have failed to think things through all the way even as an adult. 

I think you do... Maybe you just have the curiosity thought of being better than before based on your health concerns.. 

do you laugh a lot?

Your "blood draw" probably wasn't really thorough.  Things like metabolic panels and liver panels and electrolyte panels probably wouldn't show things that typically cause brain issues except indirectly.  When my liver was acting up, I must have gone through about 25 to 30 different blood panels for a huge list of possible conditions.  My normal tests involve three or four "standard" tests and I'm betting that's all that you had.

High hemoglobin and RBC might be indicative of a little extra iron in your diet.  High calcium could lead to certain issues with circulation long-term.  You might also hurt your liver or kidneys.  However, none of those conditions is immediate.

You have read all about a few diseases and you suddenly think you see yourself having that condition.  Your concern over "clear thinking" when you have reasonably stable blood work probably does not stem from physical conditions.  You have a few mild insecurities and I think that is your biggest problem.

If you really feel you have a problem that needs to be addressed, see a psychologist or psychiatrist.

By the way, in most states you don't get blood workups without a doctor having written the orders.  Talk to the doctor about detailed interpretations of the findings.  We on this board are unlikely to be able to diagnose you properly anyway.

I doubt very much it's your diet.

As for your impulsive thinking ,see a doctor and explain.

It's a pretty good indicator that you even recognize where you are mentally and physically. Start with some easy goals like drinking water when your "craving." Do this once a day and give yourself time to slowly change your health goals. And as far as your mental health, we all have something...find something you enjoy that takes your mind off things. Even if it's observing birds from your window...I know these are very small tasks yet they are a start. And just start. Don't be so hard on yourself. You're more normal than you think. I hope you find what you need even if you have to really try at first. And keep trying. Trying can be daughting but it will help you get use to starting and figuring it out through out life. Wishing you the best in all your small task. 

You may have had everything handed to you growing up but however much you stomp your feet and decide that your blood tests are healthy it doesn't make it so. A 20 year old that is actually healthy would have test results in the normal range and a young body can tolerate abuse much better than someone 10 or 20 years older. If you feel that you may have ADHD see a doctor about it otherwise see a therapist to deal with your issues as you're going to struggle in the near furute as your peers overtake you in life and leave you behind. No one can change your diet but you so if you do actually want to be healthy sort yourself out.

Source(s): I have ADHD and don't use it as an excuse.

Would you put Kool-Aid in your car's gas tank? Of course it's the junk food that's causing your problems. Doctors are only looking for something they can write a prescription for (they get kickbacks), and few of them even try to understand nutrition. 

Try a rotation diet for a week, especially without sugar, wheat, milk and cheese, alcohol, tobacco. Drink lots of water. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables, lean meat and fish. You will feel like a new person - The Real You! I'm sorry you were emotionally neglected - sometimes when you grow up, you have to be your own best parent.

"Keep in mind a "normal range" can be in unhealthy parts of a spectrum. A normal range is just the range where average people are in."

Not true. You are misunderstanding "normal range." It's not the average for all people but the range that healthy people have. So everyone within the normal range for, say, calcium has a healthy calcium level.

If your levels are only slightly elevated, it's unlikely they're impacting your cognitive abilities.

But that diet is doing you no favors. You're an adult headed for heart disease, probable obesity, and dying years earlier than you would have, if you keep it up.

At twenty, it's time to learn to cook healthy meals for yourself. In December, cook for yourself once week. January, twice a week. By summer, you'll be eating healthy most of the time and can save fast food for occasional treats or times when some emergency keeps you from cooking something good for you.

@yet-knish! Even before I started eating junk food I was not as responsible as someone my age was expected to be. 

Your diet very definitely has an effect on how your mind works.