Why do cars after 2000 have computer chips in their keys?

I needed a new key for my car so I took it to the key cutter and he asked if it had a computer chip and I said I don't think so. Then he put it in a machine and said yes it does and if the computer chip isn't copied from the original key into the new key the engine won't start. If this is true what is the purpose of that? Why not just have a regular key to start the engine? It costs $100 extra to get a new key because of the computer chip. I don't mind paying for it but it seems unnecessary.

Thanks everyone. I bought the car from the dealer and it was second hand and only came with one key so I got another one copied at a key cutter.

• fuzzy

It is there so if somebody just pulls the cylinder out and uses a screwdriver the car will not start because it does not see conformation that the real key is being used

I know, PITA. I didn't have much choice,. Stay with a broken down '86 with a Normal key;  or get something that Ran and was less than ten years old, and get that fob Nonsense.  I also Hate the electric steering but again hard to avoid it.

• David

Depends on the brand, there are many different anti-theft techniques.  Lots of new cars don't have a "key" at all.  Just a fob and they are expensive to replace.

Anti-theft protection.  If the car is stolen, stuff don't work like the stereo and other accessories as it is all coded to the key. Average key cutter can't make a replicate key.  You have to buy from dealer and they have the coded keys so they need proof it is your car(usually you have a key...which is the give away). Key will cost about $100.  So it stops the hotwiring of cars too. All to protect the owner of the car.   You get 2 keys when you buy the car.  After that you pay for each & every key.

It is a security device so you car can't be stolen as easily ding dong. It may not be necessary as your car ages, but when it was new it was. Probably saved you money on your insurance at some point.

It's to keep people from stealing your car dufus. Get two keys so if you lose one you don't have to tow your vehicle to the dealer to have the keys programmed to the car.

• ?

No chip = no hotwiring. The change was in response to insurance industry and police demands as so many cars were being routinely stolen. In many countries it became a legal requirement for all new cars.

But on the old chipped keys it’s easy enough to get the chip code copied. It’s the later models with transponder keys with rolling codes which are much more secure because you cannot just copy the chip code; but there is an easy way to defeat those now as well.

• Barry

It's for security. No chip means your car could easily be stolen.

its called an immobiliser .its unique to the key ..and yes it true .without the chip the car will never start 

It makes it more difficult to steal the car.