Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

is it bad to have someone else train your dog?

i imagine dogs listen to the person who trains them so therefore it could be bad but maybe not

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

I suggest that you should train your dog yourself. 

• 2 months ago

It is MUCH better to train your dog yourself.  If you go to a dog training class, it is really the teacher showing the people how to train their dogs.  

One exception is the highly trained police dogs and guard dogs.  They may be trained before you get them, but then you still have to train with the dog so that you are good co-workers.  

• 2 months ago

You need to do the training yourself.  Unless it is for aggression training or any advanced training.  Basic obedience is only the 7 most used commands we give our dogs.  Instruction for Basic Obedience is everywhere.  online, in dog training books & by joining a class.  Potty training you have to do yourself, teaching it not to bite is the second thing the dog needs to learn & both have nothing to do with obedience training.

Have you ever watched Lucky Dog on TV on Saturdays?  If you pay attention to the training you will know what to do.

• 2 months ago

I don't think it is bad as long as a person learns to replicate the way the trainer handles the dog.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I think it is bad as in most cases,  if you haven't trained with the dog then the dog will just revert back to whatever it was doing with you before training. 

Training is ongoing.  You can't have someone else train your dog and expect that to be it.  Different if you go to someone on a one to one and train with a good trainer who also shows you how to handle the dog as well,  but even then,  you wouldn't remember everything.  You wouldn't notice subtle changes in the dogs body language that a good trainer picks up on and act on it before the dog does,  and you wouldn't suddenly know all the things an experienced handler has taken years to learn. 

And this is exactly why people like me say that some breeds are not for novice owners. 

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Generally it is not a good idea to have your dog trained by someone else, getting a trainer to train YOU along with your dog is a much better idea if you really don't know what you are doing, as you say the dog will do what it is trained to do by the trainer , so a dog trained by someone else will do as it is told by that person and once back with the owner it will quickly ignore commands as it is clear to the dog the owner doesn't know what they are doing.... training needs to be consistant and an owner that is not consistant because they don't know how to train and doesn't know what the person did to get their dog trained is useless

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In most circumstances , its not a good idea to have your dog trained by someone else without you being there as well.

The dog will view the trainer as its leader and will obey them and look up to them  more than they will you. 

Also YOU need to be trained how to handle the dog and be familiar with the commands the dog has been taught to respond to.

Different trainers use different methods to train dogs and you need to know what method they use on your dog and be happy with that method and understand how it works.

Even blind people who receive  guide dogs have to be trained how to handle the dog and know all the commands, and know the dogs temperament well before they make a team. 

A guide dog is not really aware that its owner cannot actually see, it just follows commands as its been taught to do and is familiar with.

Its called conditioning.

Police dogs and their handlers are usually trained TOGETHER by the appropriate dog handler at the police dog training school, at least they do in the UK.

So, always go with your dog if you want it trained to bond well with you and listen 100% to you. 

If someone buys a dog already trained in protection work, they have to spend some time getting to know the dog and how to handle it and all the commands it responds to and in most cases a 6 months regular follow up training is required by both owner and dog to keep the dog and owner on top  form. 

Source(s): GSD owner for 58 years.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Of course it is it being your dog and not theres

• ?
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

If you mean a training class, where you go with, then that is a great idea! If you drop your dog off, and you are not there, that is bad, you don't know what they are actually doing or treating your dog!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No. People do that all the time, have their dogs trained by professionals. It usually then involves that professional training you also how to get your dog to obey, but that doesn't take nearly the time or knowhow that training a dog does. 

I mean, how do you think seeing-eye-dogs are trained, by the blind person who gets them? No. How do you think police and DEA drug-sniffing dogs are trained, by the officers or agents who use them? No. How do you think actual watchdogs are trained, by their masters? No.

It's not bad to have someone else train your dog. It's just very expensive because it's very time-consuming. So if you can't afford it, then I guess it's bad. But otherwise, it's not bad. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.