Kelly C asked in HealthDental · 2 months ago

Clear retainers dont cover teeth and cover roof of mouth, were they made incorrectly?

I previously had clear retainers and ended up getting invisalign years after getting my braces off to correct some crooked teeth. I went to pick up my retainers and whitening trays after I had completed my invisalign and they seem off. They aren't like my other ones, which were made perfect. The retainers dont cover my entire teeth on the top front, and theres a large section of plastic on the roof of my mouth. I asked my dentist why this was there considering that wasn't on my last set and he said it was there for support. Its very uncomfortable and makes me feel like im going to gag from the extra plastic on the roof of my mouth. Im going tomorrow to ask if he can remake them since it seems to me something went wrong. Am I crazy, or were they not made correctly?

• Sandy

When I have made retainers, they are "horseshoe shaped" with very little plastic on the roof of the mouth, and covering most of the teeth.

Your dentist or orthodontist may prefer the retainers to be make the way they are.

You can ask for some of the plastic on the roof of your mouth to be trimmed away and that should relieve the "gagging" feeling.

Source(s): Orthodontic assistant with over 35 years of expereince.