Darrick asked in HealthDental · 2 months ago

Should I worry about my retainer?

Almost two weeks ago, while I was at work the back plastic piece of my bottom retainer got broken. Not by my hand mind you. I’ve worn a retain religious for the last 5 1/2 years since I got my braces off and this particular retainer is a replacement I received this past June after having lost my old one November of last year. When this replacement retainer first broke naturally I went in to a panic because a replacement bottom cost 900 at my ortho. Now mind you it still fits and is not tight when I wear it. unfortunately I won’t be able to afford a replacement bottom until April.  But I’m a little worried about how the retainer might fair in the meantime. Thoughts? Advice? 

NOTE: I did save the back piece that broke off and a few people have suggested I superglue it back on..??

• Sandy

I would not suggest you use superglue. That's not the way it's repaired in a lab and most likely wouldn't be exact.

Without seeing the retainer in your mouth, my opinion is it can probably be repaired by having the orthodontist ask the lab to add acrylic to the end. Even though you have the extra end piece, they won't re-attach it.

If it can be repaired, that should save you some on the cost

BTW, $900 for a replacement seems very over priced.

Source(s): Orthodontic assistant with over 35 years of experience. I've made hundreds of retainers.