Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

What would you do if you found out that your husband couldn't get you pregnant?

This question is for both single and married women to answer.

• T J

Id be happy, no more birth control pills.

It’s no fault of his.. it could be me that couldn’t have kids and I wouldn’t want someone being upset with me over that. There’s other things you can do to have kids. Plenty of children need good homes. 

I would have been devastated as I always wanted children of my own. As long as he was willing to look at alternatives - IVF, Donor Sperm, Adoption - I could live with that, though it wouldn't be easy. 

What I couldn't forgive is, if he married me KNOWING he couldn't and CHOSE not to tell me, in spite of knowing what I wanted and expected from marriage. THAT might be a betrayal I'd find impossible to get over. 

If he had told me and was willing to work on alternatives, I could have married him anyway, if the love was there. 

I would have been terribly disappointed, but it wouldn't have ended my marriage (assuming he hadn't knowingly misled me about it before we married, of course). I would have looked into adoption, and if that didn't work out, then I would have tried to accept being childless with as much grace as I could manage.

Move on to adoption or use an anonymous sperm donor to start a family.

I'd be thrilled.  Pregnancy is my worst nightmare.  I had to work really hard to find a doctor who would perform a tubal ligation on me when I was 28.  Not having to deal with that would have been awesome.  Of course, I probably would have done it anyway just to be safe.  Surgery is a small price to pay to be sure that there's zero chance of pregnancy.

That ended up badly when my girlfriend's husband found out he was incapable of having kids after her baby belly was showing. Looks like we gonna have to make things work. 

I'd wonder where my kids came from since I never cheated on him

If I wanted children I would see a fertility specialist. Since I never wanted children, I would celebrate!

• James

artificial insemination or stop buying condoms.