Should I pay a parking fine from a private company for an offence 1 year ago for £140? ?

I live in the UK, and I used a private car park for around 20 minutes without paying and subsequently left forgetting about it.

I had a letter informing me of the matter over 12 months ago, threatening to go to the courts. I moved out my parents home and forgot about it, I didn’t appeal I just ignored it, because I didn’t have the money at the time and as they’re a private company, it’s not legally enforceable, but I do know it can be escalated to a civil court.

A year later, my dad informed me I’ve had a letter (after months of ignoring) saying if I don’t pay £140 in 30 days, court proceedings will commence. My dad has kindly offered to pay the money as I’m struggling financially, but I’m still unsure to pay, because they mentioned court proceedings over a year ago and nothing ever came about from it. But they mention they have solicitors involved from Sheffield and the wording is more serious.

• Tavy

Of course it's legal. Unless you want a CCJ on your credit report for 7 years, then Dad should pay it.

U.K.

• Maxi

"as they’re a private company, it’s not legally enforceable" What comic did you get that out of?

Unless you want a CCJ against you wrecking your credit for years and will still have to pay plus pay their legal and court costs and your parents getting a visit from court bailiffs where their possessions are at risk of being taken unless they prove with reciepts everything belongs to them