Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 2 months ago

How does dyslexia affect someone ?

I didn’t think that my friend had dyslexia as he has good intelligence and speaks really well until he told me. 

• 1. Dyslexia is one the Learning disabilities (just like Dyscalculia, dysgraphia, ADHD).

2. In dyslexia, a child has problems with arranging objects..... 

3. In studies, the child would have issues in writing word, calculations and remembering learned material.. Eg his spelling for duck can be either buck, bnck. He gets confused in b, p, q, and d..... n, and u... 3 and E,..... 

4. In normal life, he may have problems in arranging objects.... He can't tie shoes... It is hard for him to paly a complex game.... He can't understand complex conversations. 

5. A dyslexic child may have issues in processing information as well... 

6. Dyslexia is a learning and processing issue, it is not a mental retardation or illness 

• Jas B

As others have said dyslexia has nothing to do with intelligence.

Here are just some of the people who are dyslexic who you might have heard of.

Richard Branson

Whoopi Goldberg

Jim Carrey

Steve Jobs

Jamie Oliver

Steven Spielberg

Jennifer Aniston

John Irving

Keira Knightley

Tom Cruise

Here are some you won't have heard of who are dyslexic

Carol Greider Microbiologist; Nobel Prize in Medicine (2009)  for the discovery of telomerase, an enzyme which plays a major role in human disease and aging.

John Goodenough, known for his work in improving the design of the lithium ion battery, was awarded the National Medal of Science in 2013, and the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2019.

George M. Church Geneticist, molecular engineer, chemist.  Known for his work in the sequencing of genomes, in synthetic biology, in genome engineering, and in an emerging area of neuroscience that proposes to map brain activity and establish a “functional connectome.”

Helen Brooke Taussig is known as the founder of pediatric cardiology for her pioneering work developing a surgical shunt to treat “blue baby” syndrome. She also helped prevent a thalidomide birth defect crisis in the United States, testifying to the Food and Drug Administration about the devastating effects the drug had caused in Europe. She was the first woman elected to lead the American Heart Association, and was awarded a Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1964.

Nicole Betancourt  Emmy award-winning producer and director of documentaries and short video

Having Dyslexia has absolutely nothing to do with a person’s intelligence. 

Dyslexia is how you write or read - not how you speak. With my dyslexia, I often get letters like p, q, b and d mixed up. It's not something I do on purpose, its just something that happens without me realizing it. My brain looks at it and sees "pig" but what I actually wrote was"big". It usually takes someone pointing it out before I realize the mistake. I also often mix up numbers and it makes math hard. Think of it as the Mean Girls scene when Tina Fey tells Lindsay Lohan "The funny thing is that all of the work is correct, but the answer is wrong." My work will be correct but instead of writing "546" I will write "654". Again, I don't realize it is incorrect, my brain sees it as the right number. It's something that you have to work with and over time it will get easier, but it won't go away.

• drip

Many dyslexics have high intelligence. Dyslexia is a reading disorder not a speaking or intelligence or math problem. The issue for dyslexics in "translating" what they see in writing or print into the correct letter in the correct order.  Dyslexia manifests as mixed up or incorrect letters so that the word the person reads is wrong.  Common problems include letter flips (b/p/d and w/m) or letter order within a word (was becomes saw).  

Dyslexia makes reading, writing, typing, and spelling more challenging.

recent research indicates that dyslexia is, at bottom, a hearing problem ... the person who has it doesn't easily distinguish the first few milliseconds of a letter ... thus, the letters 'b' and 'd', for example, sound alike to him.  This deficit colored his entire schooling ... confusion as to what the teacher was saying leading to confusion as to the difference between 'd' and 'b' -- which leads to difficulty reading because the letters don't produce different sounds inside his head.  It seems as if your friend has done a great deal of reading and thus has mostly overcome this issue.  This research suggests that doing a great deal of reading [using context to grab the meaning of words that include confusing letter sounds] over many years is the only way to actually overcome this -- and, of course, the typical person with dyslexia avoids reading because the material is confusing.  Dyslexia does not affect the other sensory modes of learning [aside from the listening issue alluded to] and many people who have it go on to successful lives in manual trades, dance, sports, etc -- fields in which what one does with ones body is far more important than reading the instructions.  -- grampa [married 32 years to Uni Professor of Sp. Ed.]

i dnot nkow bceuase i dnto hvae dylexsai.