Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Why do Americans often deny the bad historical deeds that their country has committed?

They always talk about the good things, but never about the atomic bomb or their concentration camps, for example. In history they always pose as the "good guys", I think they are far from it.

42 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Deny what; All sorts of evil in American history books should have the option to understand English. On the off chance that America is so awful than for what reason do outsiders, ask, get, and take to get to here. Get citizenship become a hero. God Bless America My Home Sweet Home.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Concentration camps? That's a very loaded word there, pal. People think of the death camps in Germany when you use that word. They were internment camps. No one was killed. The Japanese just flew planes into Pearl Harbor and the government feared that recent Japanese immigrants may be a threat to national security. Look at what the Japanese did to our captured soldiers for real crimes against humanity.                                                                                                                                                    

The Atomic Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were a necessary alternative to a Naval invasion or letting the Soviet Union occupy Japan as well as half of Europe. A naval invasion would have resulted in far more deaths and the Soviets just invaded Manchuria. The US needed to do something drastic to force the Japanese into unconditional surrender to the US instead of the Soviets. Granted, they saw the Soviets as a greater threat, so the bombing did not exactly have the desired effect on the Japanese. However, they knew that surrender to the US would mean preserving their way of life as opposed to Soviet occupation and indoctrination. Surely, the Atomic bombs did have an impact on this decision though.                                                                                                                                                                                

In short, nations do things. These things are not always seen as universally good. They do what they think is best at the time. Countries tend not to look at themselves as the bad guys of history, so they portray themselves as the good guys. Regardless, nothing happens without reason. A black and white portrayal of good and evil is incorrect when placed on any countries actions, including the ones we portray as evil.

• zipper
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No one wants to see what is bad, just the good that is done.  America killed millions of Native American's because they were just in the way, the Civil War the North Shelled Atlanta George with poison gas, and the cannon that was used was made in Trenton New Jersey; The Swamp Ghost. We sent a Native to the World Sports event and he won every thing he was in, his reward was to die in a ditch!It is like the mother that says not my son, or daughter they did nothing wrong; when they killed five people!  It is just great to fail to see the bad in things that we love!

• KTJoe
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Deny what; All kinds of evil in American history books must be able to read English. If America is so bad than why do immigrants, beg, borrow, and steal to get to here. Get citizenship become a good guy. God Bless America My Home Sweet Home.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

All countries do this--all nations and all peoples. No one wants to admit they were wrong, bad or that they did not have everyone's best interests at heart. Americans tend to do it more publicly perhaps, because they think because of their core values they are somehow better than other places. It's not a popular or profitable stance to be a public "bad guy." 

• Gerber
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

I'm a real American and I did nothing wrong to anyone Man. ( I mean a Native American Man )

• 2 months ago

I don't know what you are talking about.  That is one thing that has been noticeable about the USA - the people recognize that bad things have been done here, from slavery to the disenfranchisement of women, to bloody wars, the bombing of Dresden, the internment camps in California, racial segregation, etc.  

Some countries cannot abide the mention of bad things that their country has done.  Turkey, for instance, denies the Armenian genocide and has a law against talking about it in public.  Yet the genocide took place over 100 years ago, when Turkey was part of the Ottoman Empire!  

• garry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

every nation has done bad deeds , take spain , use to so called discovered a country , italian captains , the dutch in the east indies , england in india , the u s every where .. as i said every nation is guilty .. what like for america we know they fought the indians and mexicans , and also imported black slave from african dealers ..

• L
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

America is no different than any other country; we have good people and bad people.

We celebrate the good and ignore the bad.  Unless you were alive, when the atomic bomb went off - you'll never know why.  As for the concentration camps; this happened right after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.  Americans feared all Japanese and put them in concentration camps so we would feel safe again.  It's about the same as we have done with those who caused 9/11.....we fear those who cause us harm.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Says who? From what I've seen Americans are often the biggest critics of their own country's past transgressions. Americans protested nuclear weaponization in the '50s just like they did the Vietnam War in the '60s.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.