Is isopropyl alcohol ok for cleaning an LCD display?

I normally use regular lens cleaner and a microfiber cloth to clean my laptop screen, but I misplaced the lens cleaner and my screen is getting quite smudgy. I have a bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol, can I use that? Also, is it ok that there would be a large spot of alcohol on the microfiber cloth, since I can't really spray it?

It’s fine but you need to go easy with it.

Isopropyl alcohol has no surface tension so runs really easily into places you definitely don’t want it going. 

With TV and laptop displays that means if you apply it excessively it will run into the tiny gap between the display and the bezel surrounding it. Many displays are mounted onto adhesive foam buffers and the isopropyl alcohol will dissolve the adhesive and carry it elsewhere before re-depositing it when the alcohol evaporates.

There are also other internal components which will be damaged if exposed to excess isopropyl alcohol.

So to summarise: just moisten your cloth or screen tissue. If you have too much it can cause damage. If you don’t apply enough you can always have another go. 

I use Windex and a soft cloth. 

I use Blow Off Electronics Cleaner.