Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 2 months ago

What is a farm truck used for?

I mean, I see the use for a tractor. But what purpose does just a truck serve in a farmland?

I guess hauling things around makes sense, but I don't assume you can do all the things you can with a tractor, or drive in the same places even

Can you drive a farm truck in bad terrain too?

• Fin

My grandparents had a farm I worked on during the summers all the way through HS.  The farm was a little over 700 acres, part of that property was accessible only by the county road due to the terrain between the house and those fields.  So it would take 30 min to drive the tractor over there to plow, harvest, hay, or whatever had to be done and it only took 5 min by regular vehicle (truck).  At the beginning of the week we'd take the tractor over there and go back and forth to the house with the truck, saving about 50 min round trip and then take the tractor back a few days later when the work was done.  Making that trip with a tractor at least twice a day is burning about 2 hours of time that could be used working/getting stuff done - it's just inefficient.

The farm truck is also more efficient for hauling out feed, hay, salt licks, etc to cows and other critters that you have in the more remote fields, and/or hauling tools and equipment needed to repair fencing, pumps, or whatever has to be done.  It's just quicker to get from place to place when you have chores that don't require the use of the tractor.  When you didn't have to haul a bunch of stuff, the ATV was the quickest.

UPDATE For your last question:  It all depends on the terrain.  Usually, if you can drive the tractor there you can drive the truck there as well - the truck was 4WD. 

• zipper

Caring feed, tools, fence supplies, bedding soil , seed, plants, water and live stock around!

They enter F1 at the weekend, ffs.

For the farmer to drive on the highway.

• Mr.357

For hauling around stuff that is too big to put in your pocket.

• F

They enter F1 at the weekend, ffs.

It certainly isn't for delivering Prime or Amazon orders! What don't you understand about "farm"? 

Everything you might use a horse and wagon for. 

Carting various things like hay fruits/vegetables and other farm-related stuff like fencing materials and various supplies required such as fertilisers. 

• doing farming stuff