Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 1 month ago

Is it legal to lock my adult autistic daughter out of the house or in her bedroom when she's having a violent meltdown?

If not, what else could I do to keep her from breaking things and hurting people?

She's seen counselors and takes medication, but that doesn't stop her from occasionally having violent meltdowns.

6 Answers

  • 3 weeks ago

    I don't know where you're living because it may be illegal in some places, but as far as I know, temporarily locking a child (or an adult for whom you are the legal guardian) in their bedroom during a meltdown is not illegal as long as it doesn't turn into neglect.

    I definitely wouldn't lock her out of the house, as there are all kinds of dangerous situations that she could get into out there, not to mention you'd be more likely to attract negative attention and CPS calls from your neighbors. But in her bedroom should be okay.

    So to make sure you're not neglecting her in the bedroom during these meltdowns, I would make sure:1) She is being supervised/monitored by some means so that you know she isn't endangering or hurting herself (a video baby monitor camera near the ceiling should do the trick here)2) It's not for a lengthy duration of time (meaning, she is let out at soon as the meltdown is over and isn't left in there all day or something) as that would be neglect. I would, however, try to teach her to channel her aggression towards an appropriate object, like a punching bag, if you can.

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    It's time to make some phone calls and get some help

  • 1 month ago

    What you need to do is try and find a way to calm her down or comfort her. Your daughter can't be blamed for the meltdowns she has. I've seen people say to call the police, DON'T do that. It will make her panic and only make things worse. I'd recommend continuing the counseling and trying to find things to calm her or reassure her. Also, don't lock her out of the house, that won't help anyone, locking her somewhere will also make her panic. Meltdowns can be very stressful things, but please don't do anything that'd hurt your daughter. 

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    NO. If your daughter presents a threat to your safety or the safety of others, you need to call the cops and have her taken into custody during her "meltdowns". End of story.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    Unless you're her legal carer then you are committing a crime, yes.

  • 1 month ago

    It's time to make some phone calls and get some help

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.