Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 2 months ago

CA traffic tint violation?

I got pulled over for a damn failure to signal. When I got pulled over, they asked me to roll down all my window, BEFORE approaching my car. They said nothing about the tint whatsoever but, when I looked at my ticket, it had a tint violation on it.

They used no type of light transmitter or whatever light tape/measure they're suppose to use. Can that violation be dismissed because they failed to prove my tint was too dark with the transmitter?

Thanks in advance.

For the smart *** answers, my tint is legal. The point is also, it was never tested. But thanks for nothing, I appreciate it.

A shop will put on whatever tint you pay them for.  They do not have to abide by the law because they are not driving the car.  You want extra dark and pay for it, you get extra dark.  They did their job.

. It is UP TO YOU TO KNOW "what is legal" by first inquiring at the cop shop....because it is left up to the cops "discretion" (meaning eyeball judgement) whether to nail you on tinted windows or not.

If you know your tint is legal, then the charge is thrown out, but you got to prove that in court.

. The light test is not done on the road.

Which is why you try to avoid violations and having a cop stop you.  Because now that they have stopped you, they are going to check your car over(which they are allowed to do anytime, anywhere.)

Putting it on the ticket was the safer way to go for the cop.  Hassle for you because now you need to get proof.

Just the way it has always been.

Get your tint tested and show it on your hearing.  Easy peasy.

The cop doesn't have to check your tint.

He wrote the ticket.

You go to the court, they do the testing = if it passes, your ticket is dismissed.

• Ron

tell it to the judge

• Anton

You failed to list the VC number on the ticket.

Without that, no answer is valid.

No, it is up to YOU to go to court with an official light transmission test in hand to prove they are wrong. They probably aren't. Maximum tint on front side windows is 70% and non-reflective. The turn signal fine is $238.00. The tint fine is another $197. With court processing fees you're looking at almost $500 bones. That ought to teach you to start obeying the rules. FAIL. 

.

Update: a receipt for the type of tinting used can be substituted for a test as long as it was professionally installed. 

The traffic violation can be dismissed if you prove the tint isn't actually too dark. That's how it gets dismissed. If it's actually too dark, then he was right, all of this huffing about when he asked you to roll down your window is puerile sophistry, and the law's the law. 

Now, even if the tinting actually is too dark, I'm pretty sure that you can have the window tinting removed or redone so that it is within California standards on or before the appearance date on the ticket, and if you do that, someone will come out to your car and check that it's legal and that will result in the ticket being dismissed.

By the way, do you know how the California tinting law came about? It came about because of a serial killer in a plain, non-descript, full-size van who'd get his young, female victims by picking young females he'd see driving small cars and then coming up behind them with his big, heavy, vehicle and running them off the road and who kept getting away with it because those women who did manage to get away from him and survive couldn't ever provide any physical description of him, much less identify him, because they could never see him through his darkly tinted windshield or his darkly tinted driver and front passenger windows. So, now, the law is that no window tinting is allowed on the windshield and window tinting on the driver and front passenger windows is set at a specific level of darkness determined not to be too dark for a driver to be easily seen and described or identified by other motorists. That means that when you first drove by the cop, if when he tried to see you, as per procedure, he couldn't see you because of how dark your windows were tinted, he'd know they were too dark to be legal.