Ramses asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

Where to start with ancient philosophy?

I would like to start reading books from greek philisophers, but I don't know where to start.

what text from or about Socrates, Plato or Aristotle is the most accessible and easy to get into?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Dejair
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

To philosophize is the art you can do with the words you know, communicating your style of being and comprehension about life . Thou art thee being ! 

• j153e
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Try "The Greek Philosophers:  Selected Texts from the Presocratics, Plato and Aristotle," ed. by J. H. Lesher.

The advantages:  briefer selections from the most important texts.  Then, follow up with full texts of those you like/are learning from.

Would also recommend Tom Morris' "Philosophy for Dummies" as a good companion highlighting the main ideas.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Philosophy 101 by Socrates: An Introduction to Philosophy via Plato's Apology

by Peter Kreeft

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The ancient Greeks before Socrates like Thales of Miletus, Xenophanes, Pythagoras, Heraclitus and Parmenides

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Start with Plato's discoursed, either the Apology or the Alcibiades. Neither the Metaphysics nor the Republic is acceptable early on material. All things being equal, I suggest Plato's Apology and Euthyphro, Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, and Marcus Aurelius' Meditations (in the event that you need to go further into Hellenistic way of thinking).

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

By aborting such dream because it's way too difficult zxj

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I suggest that you begin with the Basics of Philosophy website here: https://www.philosophybasics.com/ First, read the page titled "A Quick History of Philosophy" in the General section, and then delve into Pre-Socratic Philosophy under the ancient philosophy heading. This will give you the basics 

After that, the peer-reviewed Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy will take you deeper https://iep.utm.edu/greekphi/

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

All is water is the first one. 

How could you even forget him like that?!!?!

Source(s): Thales
  • Mike W
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Start with what you find interesting, and move on from there.  

• 2 months ago

Geek philosophers? Try Ray Kurzweil's books. He's great.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.