Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Can I use my parents as references for my law school application?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Ann
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

People aren't generally accept into a higher ed. program such as law school simply because of family/friend recommendations.  The person needs to have an exceptional GPA and SAT level of scores.  Past teachers or people you've worked with professionally would be more acceptable, because they're more objective.

• 2 months ago

According to Arthur Miller of Harvard Law, ,the vast majority of applicants are either accepted or denied purely on objective factors that have nothing to do with your "references".  GPA, LSAT, whether you're asking for financial assistance, etc. If you're above one line, you're automatically in; below the line you're automatically out. Between the lines they MIGHT have someone read your application to grade you one way or the other, assuming they need more admissions.

• 2 months ago

I would not advise using a family member for this.  They want teachers, employers, or people who know you and have some knowledge of your abilities, but without a particular bias in your favor.  Your parents would be expected to think you are better than you are..

• 2 months ago

If you have to ask this question, you are unlikely to get accepted to law school anyway.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • xyzzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Not if you really want to get in law school.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Unless the application specifies, you can use any reference you want. Professional references are normally given more credibility, though. Your parents, your best friend and your pastor tend to say great things no matter what. 

• 2 months ago

You can, but they will not serve as good references.  Instead, consider using their well respected friends (or other non-relatives) who know you too, but talk to them about your intention to use them as a reference.  Good Luck.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No they will say you are wonderful. References are from professional people who know you, teachers etc.

• 2 months ago

If you don't want to be accepted.   No one will give any weight to a biased reference. Are you sure you're law school material?  You don't seem to have critical thinking skills.

• 2 months ago

Are they lawyers or judges or prosecutors? If so, you can.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.