Will buying an external hard drive help?

My Windows (C:) is full and I tried many things to clear up some space and they all just barely gave me free space. Will buying an external hard drive help me out? 

It might. If the bulk of files in C: is from your files then transferring them to an external drive will allow you to free up space. If what's filling the C: drive however are programs, games and clutter from the OS and internet, no, an external drive won't help much.

Yes and no.  If you can actually move stuff off the C drive to a second drive, then yes it will absolutely help you.  But if that is all a bunch of game files, you can't move them unless you back up the saved game files, de-install the game, and then reinstall it to the secondary drive.  You can't just move an installed file.

Yes, you can buy hard drive.

A 4TB, would be better, to backup, all of your data onto. If your main drive fails, you will lose all of your data!

• BigE

I used a "linking" utility and soon found out that lots of things can't be move easily, like your User Directory or Program locations.  So if it isn't simple data like photos and videos, I think trying to do this will eventually lead to some failure.

Cloning the drive is well understood, so I would go to a bigger drive.

• keerok

just get a bigger hard drive and replace the one you have now with it; then move everything from the old drive to the new one using mirror software .. drives are dirt cheap these days

Maybe.  If it's movies that's filling up your C: then an external drive would certainly help.

Maybe?

Most people use an external drive to make a copy of what's on their computer's hard drive, as a back-up.

To free up space, you'd have to set the external drive not to back up, then move large files to it.

Depending on what's filling up the C: drive, there may be better solutions. Is it word processing, numerical data, music, images, movies, games, or what?

Or you could spend a little money and get the paid level of DropBox or one of its competitors and move a lot of your big files to the cloud.