Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

1000 hours in playing a video game?

I am 15 and I spent over 1000 hours playing Skyrim, my favourite game ever... Do you think these hours have been well spent? 

As long as it wasn't 1000 hours straight and it was over several months, then it's all good and normal.  I've tried playing Skyrim twice, with each child and I just didn't get into the story lines, and I just didn't have the patience to spend enough time learning all the different 'gangs' etc...  Though both my kids enjoyed/enjoy playing it and the people that made it, must have had fun putting it all together etc.

I don't really see much difference in Gaming and watching a film, cos' at least when your gaming you are using your hand eye coordination, whereas if your just watching the TV your hands aren't needed to work with your brain.

Gaming should be one of many hobbies, so if you find it's your only thing you do, when your not working or getting Educated, then perhaps it's time to set time limits of no longer than 90 minutes a day gaming.  Do some chores, go for a walk and when Covid is killed, meet with friends and do something legal.

• Bill

Skyrim has always sucked. Even when the game was new the five feet view distance before LOD came in was very noticeable. Go outside the first city you come across and look across the field. Now marvel at the weird line on the ground where all grass stops.  

The devs should have just lowered the overall graphics of the game and pushed the LOD back, but instead they tried to push graphics up close at the cost of five feet from the players face. This means that any open field (aka the whole middle of the map) looks like a disaster, while more closed off areas look great for the graphical standards at the time the game was released. Yeah, that's a garbage trade off when vast open fields are all over the place. 

No they are not well spent. You have just wasted a 1000 hours of your life when you could have used the time constructively to improve yourself.  Some people have written a novel in that time and made lots of money or got a degree. 

You need to get out more.

Make it another 1000

I played Skyrim 200 hours. And I think it's an amazing game.