Are Electric Blankets a Safety Concern?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • L
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

If they were................no store would be selling them.  My mother had one, however, she only turned it on 30-minutes before she went to bed and once in bed.......she turned it off.  I have a comforter - so I don't need one.  My comforter keeps me plenty warm.  One time, I did buy a mattress electric blanket; you place this over your mattress, put a sheet over it and then lay on the bed with just normal covers over you.  The only problem with this............the mattress electric blanket heats from head to toe and I kept getting a headache because of all the heat coming up from under my pillow.

• Willie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you're a bedwetter you should never have one on your bed.

• 1 month ago

Probably the greatest worry with electric covers is that, without legitimate consideration and use, they can be a fire danger. Keep in mind, there are wires and different segments coursing through the cover, and power goes into these wires to warm it and keep you warm. Any time power is available, there's a possibility of fire.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

As long as you follow the use instructions and don't wet the bed.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If they are left on, or left on high, sure

• 1 month ago

I have a electric blanket it is the best investment I ever made. Mine is pretty safe I’ve had it for 2 years +

Source(s): Me
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

As long as you follow the use instructions and don't wet the bed.

• 1 month ago

They are a concern, but will cause you little problems if you follow their use guidelines.  Always on top, never in the middle of other blankets.  Never sleep on top of the electric blanket when it is on.  Keep an eye on electrical connections and replace when worn.  

• y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I believe they are, millions would disagree with me.

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I have never had a problem with mine.   Follow the directions and safety measures.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.