Are Electric Blankets a Safety Concern?

• L

If they were................no store would be selling them.  My mother had one, however, she only turned it on 30-minutes before she went to bed and once in bed.......she turned it off.  I have a comforter - so I don't need one.  My comforter keeps me plenty warm.  One time, I did buy a mattress electric blanket; you place this over your mattress, put a sheet over it and then lay on the bed with just normal covers over you.  The only problem with this............the mattress electric blanket heats from head to toe and I kept getting a headache because of all the heat coming up from under my pillow.

• Willie

If you're a bedwetter you should never have one on your bed.

Probably the greatest worry with electric covers is that, without legitimate consideration and use, they can be a fire danger. Keep in mind, there are wires and different segments coursing through the cover, and power goes into these wires to warm it and keep you warm. Any time power is available, there's a possibility of fire.

As long as you follow the use instructions and don't wet the bed.

If they are left on, or left on high, sure

I have a electric blanket it is the best investment I ever made. Mine is pretty safe I’ve had it for 2 years +

Source(s): Me

They are a concern, but will cause you little problems if you follow their use guidelines.  Always on top, never in the middle of other blankets.  Never sleep on top of the electric blanket when it is on.  Keep an eye on electrical connections and replace when worn.  

• y

I believe they are, millions would disagree with me.

• drip

I have never had a problem with mine.   Follow the directions and safety measures.