When buying a car at a dealership, what is the longest amount of time you have spent at the dealership?

As much as 7 hours looking, negotiating and doing the paperwork. 

I once spend 3 days (not hours), in three separate visits due to mistakes on both my part and the dealer's part. Overall, it probably totaled about 6-7 hours. 

I've learned my lesson. I now ONLY negotiate with dealers on the phone and by email. I don't actually visit the dealer until the very end when I have to go sign papers and pick up the car.

• Jay P

Somewhere between 2-3 hours which included the walk-around inspection, test drive, and subsequent negotiations.

• F

Once you have decided you want to buy the car it shouldn’t take more than half an hour, but it normally takes at least 2 hours while they bombard you with extras you don’t need . Last time they tried to get me to finance even though I’d said I’d pay cash, t to sell me gap insurance even though I was paying in full, sealing the paint work, stain treating the interior , magic leprechauns in the fuel system etc etc. Even a contribution to a charity appeal!

• bo

not long about two hours. I have been dealing with this same dealership along with my family for years so we're quite familiar with each other. went in to road test a car with my daughter while out driving the car she wanted dealer did all the paperwork came back and waited for them to prep the car and out the door she went 

For me it was about three hours.  It only took about 1/2 to test drive and buy the car I wanted.  the rest of the time was spent on paper work and waiting for the vehicle to be prepped.

Every time I have purchase a car at a dealership, it has taken way too long.

One time I was there at midnight finalizing paperwork.

The most recent time. The dealership was supposed to have everything ready when I arrived- paperwork (price and financing were already decided)

I was a few about 15minutes late getting there and someone else was speaking to the finance manager.  I was told about 20 times they are almost finished.  It was about a 2 hour wait, then i learn the paperwork was not ready  Afterwards I learned that the other people didn't end up buying the car.  I assume if I arrived on time, they would have already been in the meeting. 

-- If it wasn't the only car with the same make, model, color, and interior west of Atlanta, I would have left... 

Six ridiculous hours!

• Anton

1977, new loaded GMC K2500, MRSP about $10,400.  I offered $8,500.

Got it out the door for $8,500 plus a '72 pinto that wasn't worth over $500.

That was including taxes, prep, dmv fees -- out the door.

I was in the dealership for over 4 hours.

All afternoon.  5 hours.  I expected to walk in, sign for the car, pay and drive away.   They dragged it out forever .  The car was for my daughter.  If it was for me, I would have walked out and slammed the door after an hour, but she would have been disappointed.  It was a Saturn dealership.  No wonder they folded.