Do you "taste-test" homemade vanilla ice cream while still in liquid form?

After mixing the ingredients, but prior to putting all of the ingredients into your ice cream maker, does one typically taste the liquid and adjust the vanilla and sugar and cream to their liking?

6 days ago

Shop enamel cookware online https://bitly.com/3pHzH1t

• denise

I have done this, yes but you dont have to, I suppose.

I don't bother, but you want to be aware that the cold temperature will dampen the flavour so you want it sweeter and stronger pre-freezing. I personally put 2 whole tbsp of vanilla extract, plus 1 fresh bean (seeds scraped & pod steeped overnight) in mine.

• kswck2

Of course-all good cooks taste and correct their dishes.

I don't bother because it will taste quite different when frozen. I just follow a recipe I trust.

• If it’s not custard based, sure you can adjust then. If it’s custard based, you need to taste and adjust prior to heating/thickening the custard. 

Yes, with a clean spoon that is instantly washed/discarded after every tasting.