Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 month ago

If I run a table fan on my computer will it keep it from overheating? ?

My desktop suddenly started getting really hot with no explanation, no dust, I didn’t play with settings and I’m sure of no viruses, the fan does work.. I’m not sure what’s wrong but I’m wondering if I run a table fan in front of the computer if that can help with the heat problem?

i doubt it. your computer has an internal fan and all of the heat from your computer is happening internally, from using your computer for a long time or running multiple apps at once, etc. So you can try that, but I don't think it would make much of a difference. if the internal fan is too loud, try to switch to a computer that does not have a fan, like the Microsoft surface pro 7 maybe.

• Dick

Shut down the computer and open it up so you can  .... change the thermal paste that is between the surface of the CPU and the Heatsink itself.  Clean off the old stuff completely and install a new application of it to ensure proper heat transfer between the two metal surfaces.  This would be the first thing I'd look for.  If the old thermal paste is cooked it's doing you no good.

I don't think so your computer will keep it from overeating

I think it's time, for you to get a new computer. I experienced what you are experiencing. If you have anything you want to keep that is on your computer then I recommend you make a backup immediately.

• keerok

You can try. We don't know how hot it gets. 

If that's not enough, take off the cover of the CPU and direct the fan towards the internals of the computer. 

maybe you should replace your desktop so it dont start a fire

Your computer is supposed to be capable of keeping the processor cool enough whilst working flat out in a hot country in summer, if it can't then something's wrong with its cooling system.  The usual problems are faulty or dirty fans, blocked case air vents, not enough space around the computer and the cooler's thermal paste needing replacing.  Liquid cooling systems can have problems with faulty pumps, blocked radiators and coolant loss.  You should also have a look at the task manager to see what processes are running and how hard they're working the processor.  It shouldn't overheat no matter what it's doing though.  I forgot to add dust/fluff stuck in the cooler's fins under the fan, that's very common.

If you open up the side of your computer and blow a table fan into it it'll dissipate the heat temporarily so you can keep using your computer. the cooling fans are only a couple of dollars on eBay most of the shops that work on computers throw them away outside with the old computer boxes. The plugs and the cooling fans are pretty much universal so go get a cooling fan it's pretty simple