Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

How do I stop being so shy and caring what other people think?

I’m tired of feeling like it’s hard to express myself and I want to actually be comfortable being myself. How do I overcome this? I feel like it holds me back in several aspects of my life and I don’t want it to be like this anymore. 

There's no easy answer to this one. It is really an individual experience thing and some cause & effect thinking may be the best way to start.

I'm no psychologist but have considerable experience in the field-albeit not primarily with the shy. Just the opposite, in fact, as felons and other violent people are rarely shy.

However, I have become shy in certain respects in various ways in recent years and am working to overcome it.

Part of it has been a violent and traumatic past which I kept private for most of my life but eventually overflowed and spilled out. I became compelled to tell the story and some found it alienating.

In my case, it helped to start writing about things-again. This gave me an opportunity to examine the reasons I was so reticent for so many years.

Second, I began striking up conversations with strangers, starting with innocuous conversations with retail associates and clerks. Generally complimentary or funny rather than run-of-the-mill comments about the weather-although that might be the entre to an entertaining story or comment about the individual's skill at his or her job, or something else notable about them.

Third-and I am still working on this-is focusing on the other perso by asking questions rather than going off on a tangent about myself.

This approach may seem counter to the very concept of shyness & my own personality but it has helped me after a devastating series of events lead to the loss of my own sense of well-being, self esteem and ultimately physical health that left me grim, uncommunicative & whip-sawed by other people.

When I decided to retake control of my own life and destiny it opened a door-I began to think about the joyous moments in my life & used memories of those moments to spark a smile when around others.

This has had tremendous benefits and I now have new friendships and aquaintences tjat are mutually beneficial-sometimes sparked by lending a stranger a helping hand in a parking lit by doing something as simple as picking up something they had dropped.

Is what worked for me a universal solution? Of course not-but if elements of what I tried seem like things that would work for others, it would be pleasing to think that my own story might have helped others.

One day just put it in your head.

And start acting like it today.

• OTTO

The story you tell yourself about yourself needs revision.

shyness is actually a good thing, it's a lot better than being one of those loud an annoying people