Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 2 months ago

Difference between velocity and a vector?

Novice 

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Vector is a quantity having both magnitude and direction. 

However, the vector is an example of a vector because the 

velocity has both magnitude and direction unlike scaler which

has only magnitude.

• 2 months ago

Vector is a quantity which has both magnitude and direction. 

For example velocity has a direction and magnitude. It a vector. Let us say that I am travelling at the speed of 20km/hr towards east. I cannot say that for west and north because I said east. Here , I used speed as well. But speed is not a vector because speed does not need direction. Just saying I am moving with 20km/he speed does not specify in which direction you are moving. That’s the difference . Velocity is a part of vector. If you have doubts. Feel free to ask

• 2 months ago

Vector is a directed quantity, one with both magnitude and direction

Velocity is a vector quantity that denotes the rate of change of position with respect to time

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Velocity is one example of a vector, much like red is one example of a color.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Velocity is speed, vector is either graph point or letter

• 2 months ago

Velocity is a vector quantity that indicates displacement, time, and direction. 

Unlike speed, velocity measures displacement, 

a vector quantity indicating the difference between 

an object's final and initial positions. 

Speed measures distance, 

a scalar quantity that measures the total length of an object's path.

• Ian H
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Velocity is not just speed; it is speed and direction. Changes in direction without changing speed result in changes in velocity. For example rotation around a circle at constant speed means changing velocity because of continuous changes in direction.

Vectors are quantities that have both magnitude and direction, but velocity is just one type of vector. Vectors can be used to represent many other quantities having magnitude and direction such as displacement, force, magnetic field strength, complex numbers and many more.

• 2 months ago

A vector can represent velocity, but it can represent other things, too.

• 2 months ago

About the same as the difference between your uncle's Toyota and a car.

Velocity is a vector, but not all vectors are velocities.

A vector is a quantity with both a magnitude and a direction.  Velocity is a vector that represents how fast something is moving (its speed), and also in what direction it's moving.  So "45 MPH" is a speed (having magnitude only); while "45 MPH southwest" is a velocity, with both magnitude and direction..

• 2 months ago

Velocity defines the direction of the movement of the body or the object. 

Vector, in physics, a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. ...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.